RTBA deflated

FrankieGee

So my new WP40 is causing issues.  My RBTA is deflating and I think it's because there is too much water movement happening in my tank.  I moved him to the opposite side of the tank in a corner so hopefully he'll fluff back up.  I've attached the before and after installing the WP40 pics.

RBTA before the WP40 installed

RBTA after the WP40 installed

Its true....they don't bubble much when there is a lot if flow....just make sure you keep an eye on it as it may want to wander to now find a place it likes again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Mine set itself in a hole in a rock that was in the center of the tank, 7 inches from the top of the water line, and little water flow.  The light fixture is 6 inches above the water line.  It bubbled right up and my Clarkii loved it.  The Clown slept in it all day.  One time I thought the RTBA ate the Clown because it looked like it was inside the RBTA. :blink:

I think I was so used to not having any flow.  Now that I have flow and things are changing, i'm thinking it's changing for the worse.

I can't for the life of me make any of my btas super bulbous like the way I want it.

That's because you are keeping it too happy. :laugh:

I did several experiments many years ago with about 50 E. quadricolors and the main factor seemed to be a defensive response. Flow, lighting, feeding, changing all kinds of variables never seemed to get the same response as when I created an environment where the BTA felt threatened. Some changes caused minor bubbling but not constant. However, if they were constantly messed with, poked, cut, or placed near an anemone of a different specie they would bubble up. I assume the bubbling helps to expose the nematocyst while also providing better coverage for protection of the oral disc and main body. If something is trying to harm you, you don't stretch your arms out and wave them around where they can get ripped off, you keep them in close to your body, cocked ready to punch.

I did several experiments many years ago with about 50 E. quadricolors and the main factor seemed to be a defensive response. Flow, lighting, feeding, changing all kinds of variables never seemed to get the same response as when I created an environment where the BTA felt threatened. Some changes caused minor bubbling but not constant. However, if they were constantly messed with, poked, cut, or placed near an anemone of a different specie they would bubble up. I assume the bubbling helps to expose the nematocyst while also providing better coverage for protection of the oral disc and main body. If something is trying to harm you, you don't stretch your arms out and wave them around where they can get ripped off, you keep them in close to your body, cocked ready to punch.

Hahaha darn...I can't wait till I get my 125g up and running. I'm going to neglect the living poop out on my next BTA  :ph34r:. BTW, awesome reference with the arm flailing and cocked punches

such an interesting response!  It really makes sense...

Were there any other observations you made during this period? 50 BTA seems like it must have been an incredible tank and experiment.....

Edited by sachabballi reef