Refurb a Reeflo pump. Tips?

AlanM

I got an older Reeflo Blackfin pump that I'd like to clean really well and refurbish to put on my system.  I'm about to tear down the pump head and give it a good cleaning. 

I'll probably try to leave the volute on the motor housing and take the impeller and such off to clean it, but I was wondering if anyone had rebuilt Reeflo pumps before and had some tips for getting it moving well and some lubrication points and what grease to use, etc.

Edited by AlanM

OK.  I took off the pump volute and impeller and they're soaking in vinegar right now.  I'll take pictures.  The shaft seal looks worn, but there wasn't any creep, so maybe it's ok.  Also I think this particular pump had union fittings integrated into the volute, but those parts are missing.  I've emailed Reeflo to see if they supply them.

Reeflo does supply the replacement parts.  They are sending the main shaft seal and the output union fittings.  Sent a paypal invoice for me to pay, easy peasy. 

The output fittings for the Blackfin 3600, for future reference, exactly match the male half of a 1-1/2" schedule 40 PVC union.  I bought a 1-1/2" schedule 40 union from Lowes, and it fits perfectly to put the female threads and flange on the pump.  However, the o-ring supplied with the Lowes union is on the half I wouldn't use, so I'm just ordering the kit from Reeflo because it will come with their gasket. I know I could make one or squidge some RTV gasket compound on the face, but I'd like to use the manufacturer part if possible.

Coral Hind, is it possible to move this to DIY so when I take pics of the motor teardown, cleaning and volute assembly I can post them up?

Edited by AlanM

Thanks.  The pump volute is coming out nice and clean after a 50/50 vinegar and water bath for a day or two.  The impeller has some tight structure in there, and I discovered lots of stuff can get trapped in it.  I powerwashed some very small snail shells and sand and stuff out of it. 

A set of replacement shaft seals and union fittings with gaskets was only $48 with shipping.  They're not here yet, but I will post detailed assembly pictures when they get here.  I'll have to tap out the seal carefully with a socket and fit a new one in the same way, I think.

Here's a video showing how it's done on a Dart, I used these when I attempted to do mine...........mine was a failure as there was no way to remove the impeller. This includes days of soaking & everything Chris (from Reeflo) & I could come up with.............to the point I destroyed the impeller trying to get it off = nothing.

Procedure should be about the same. Nothing really tricky about it.

I got the seals in the mail yesterday. They went in just fine. They are exactly the same seals as on a Dart and are also the same seals for all sizes of Blackfin. I took pictures, but the process was just as described on the Reeflo website and on the video posted above.

I am still waiting for the fittings to arrive, as they were shipping separately from whoever makes the plastic bits for the reeflo pumps, a company called PFD, apparently.