Extended visiting from California

I've dived sites off San Diego (where my parents and brother still live) several times. Each time in a 7mm suit with a pullover hood. Lugging gear down the rocks and getting past the surf are always "memorable." The vest sounds reasonable but the boat and showerhead sound glorious. Most dives were out over the preserve there, which is close to shore. So a boat just seems like cheating. :-D

Sent from my phone

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best saltwater store in the whole region is an hour north of fredericksburg- Marine Scene.

Haaa, :bounce:     Hardly, But it is a Really nice place worth checking out... and Their stuff is what I and many others would call, " clean ", and in thus', is why They are pretty Pricey. Nonetheless, Take your time and Check out the other LFS's. Each one of them have their own Taste and Flavor one could say... Some stores are better for one thing, but lack that in the others.. but makeup for it in That Other Thing, That being said... Point being, Take your take and have some fun.

Marine Scene, Quantum Reefs, Petland, Fin's and Feather's, Incredible Corals, Blue Ribbon Koi, Exotic Reef Creations, Just to name a few... Don't forget about Our Own Member's tank's also.  ;)

I'm up North if You ever need anythin'. They're ALLOT of Really Cool people on here that have Great Advice, and can take the time out of their day. To Give you the Attention and help you may need. ( but by checking out your tank build, Looks like you got the Basic Idea, ;) ) 

I'm Quite interested in seeing what you do out here, Tank-Wise, as The Tank in Cali, looks PrettySweetDude.lol. :lol2:

Welcome and Have Fun, Enjoy the are while your here. There is Allot to do and see. From the City in Dc, to the middle of the Woods and Rushing waters by Great Falls. From the Quarries to JustDoSomethin', to the Reefs and Shipwrecks off the Coast of NC. The Event's in DC, to the one's in towns near and far from you, And So Much More...                                      :cheers:    BTW, Welcome To WAMAS, and the Area. :cheers:

I was able to stop by quantum reefs today. It was a nicely stocked store, with some nice corals. I really liked how there were multiple manufactures of lights over the display tanks. I wish a store in California would have done that when I was in the market. Side by side comparison is cool.

Overall the prices were alittle higher than what I would expect to pay at home. Are there prices inline with the region. I'll be heading to Atlantis in Richmond tomorrow .

I was able to stop by quantum reefs today. It was a nicely stocked store, with some nice corals. I really liked how there were multiple manufactures of lights over the display tanks. I wish a store in California would have done that when I was in the market. Side by side comparison is cool.

Overall the prices were alittle higher than what I would expect to pay at home. Are there prices inline with the region. I'll be heading to Atlantis in Richmond tomorrow .

Welcome to the area and thanks for stopping by.  Unfortunately, I wasn't there to meet with you but I'm sure Vince was able to assist.  Took a look at your build thread and it is very impressive and seems to be coming along very nicely.  Prices on the corals depends on where they are from... fortunately, you have the benefit of living in CA... which is the main entry point for most anything reef related, thus I'm sure prices over there are much better than here on the east coast since most items here are either shipped, air freight, or long road trips to collect. 

If you are still in town this weekend, stop by again... we've got over 100 coral frags shipping out today from ORA and a bunch others from other suppliers... now... just gotta figure out how we're gonna fit it all in :tongue: .  Ask for Steve when you get there and I'll make sure to give a nice out of towner package.

If you're still here on the 5th of October, we will be hosting a WAMAS social at the store.  Expect lots of livestock and corals for this event and some really nice deals to be had.  Vince and I are still planning out the event so look at our thread under the vendors section for news and updates leading up to the event.

Don't leave exotic reef creations off your list to visit....guaranteed the most astounding LPS at fantastic prices....all hand picked stuff....and a beautiful country ride

http://www.exoticreefcreations.com/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

@ quantum Reef. Steve, sorry i missed you. Thanks for the offer on h out of towner special. I liked you store and will be sure to drop by when I come back in October.

@ Brad908, I'm from the Sacramento area. I have visited a few stores in the bay area and have never been impressed. I'm finding out that Sacramento has a pretty incredible reef community. There are 4-5 great stores within a 30-40 minutes radius. If our ever in the bay area and have a day to kill I would be happy to draw up a treasure map for you.

@sachaballi reef. I traded PMs with the owner from reef creations and looked at the website. He really has some nice LPS. I have been moving away from LPS since I started keeping angels and they think LPS is delicious. Maybe next trip though.

Edited by 79chopperdr

John speaks at clubs and MACNA on various topics including angels. His talk this year was on SPS Success. He'll be reprising that Talk for us next month.

Sent from my phone

Just saw it on your calendar. 10/26. Currently I'm scheduled to be in town! I will definitely make it if I can.

Terrific. I'll be working check in. Please introduce yourself to me when you arrive. I'll make sure that you meet a few people and feel welcome.

(edited)

Back in town, wanted to stop by incredible corals and blue ribbon koi on the way to the hotel today. Both closed on Mondays..... I'll try and fit them in this week.

Edited by 79chopperdr

you can always call IC...they will usually meet you on off hours with an appointment.....

btw I hope you don't mind dogs the size of ponies....Adam keeps Brutus there....and he is like a horse. 

Haha, big dogs are alright with me.

Is there a for sale board on the wamas forum or am I missing it??

you're not missing it, you're missing out. join us for a year at just $20 and check out all the awesome deals in the classified section and other member only parts of the site! welcome back!

Edited by monkiboy

Haha, big dogs are alright with me.

Is there a for sale board on the wamas forum or am I missing it??

Welcome, 79chopperdr... How long are you here for this time?

he is a member Marco....lol...so yes you are missing it!

go to the forum section up top and scroll down to the for sale/WTB section

It just happened. Gave the chopper doctor a test drive.