#1 Killer of Fish

zygote2k

I'd like to post this after seeing and hearing about some major die-offs in recent history.

I've come to realize that the #1 killer of fish and inverts is peoples' extraordinary inability to do things slowly and patiently. 

If an aquarium is set up correctly and cycled in the normal amount of time (4-8 weeks) and stocked appropriately, it's pretty hard to kill the inhabitants.

No magic potions or devices need to be used to achieve this, just time.

Money certainly can help but is usually used to speed things up to their demise.

90% of the fish out on the open market are pretty hardy and easy to keep in captivity.

Virtually all of the aquacultured inverts are getting more and more indestructable with every generation grown/fragged in captivity.

With the sheer amount of cloned products that are as good or even better than the originals, it's easy to have far more superior equipment than we had in the 90's for half the cost.

Even with all these benefits, people still kill fish and inverts in record numbers. If this were dogs and cats, people would be in jail.

I've come to realize that the #1 killer of fish and inverts is peoples' extraordinary inability to do things slowly and patiently. 

Agreed x1000.

Looking back, I have regretted every fish & invert "impulse buy" I've ever made. Some of them died, and that's on me, and the ones who lived, I wanted to get rid of after a few weeks. I have resolved with my new tank to not buy any fish or coral that I haven't thoroughly researched and seen in an actual tank (not just pictures). This resolution has already saved me from killing a Catalina Goby that someone was trying to sell me - I was intrigued by the fish and knew it would look great in my tank, but didn't pull the trigger, and only found out when I went home and looked it up that it is a cold water marine fish and not suitable for any tank over 72 degrees.

If you didn't wake up for the last three weeks, look at your tank, and imagine the fish you're about to buy swimming around in it, reconsider the purchase. If you hadn't heard of the fish before you walked into the fish store, or cannot articulate what its care requirements and temperment are like and are about to buy it, stop.

Very true, and with all of the technology available, almost all of us have the ability to look up the fish, inverts needs before a purchase...and with the wealth of information out there on how and when and why to do things in tanks this should be less of an issue...but we are all guilty of having done things the wrong way once or twice....

I thought that the answer was me for a second  :happy: . In all seriousness, though good advice. Like everyone here, I too have murdered a couple fish that I shouldn't have bought and have taken much more consideration on what I place in my tanks.