Fragging Tip

BeltwayBandit

First off, I have done this with montipora and it works very good, have not tried it with any Acro's.

I am impatient, I want my frags to grow big and grow fast and have lots of gnarly shapes and branches. Here is a trick that I accidentally stumbled upon that seems to be working out great. I recently (4-5months ago) got a small single stalk frag of montipora. I mounted it in the typical fashion yada yada yada. Well in the course of moving things around I knocked it over on its side. I didn't notice right away and by the time I did notice I saw that it had several buds on the side facing the light where new branches were erupting. I left the frag as is and now my single stalk has about 8 branches growing up out of the original stalk.

Has anyone else tried this? Do you know if it will work with other SPS besides the very hardy monti's?

BB

At MACNA the guys over at Frags.org told me that the best way to mount sps was on its side and not vertically. I guess that is why. Cool right.

At MACNA the guys over at Frags.org told me that the best way to mount sps was on its side and not vertically. I guess that is why. Cool right.

45570[/snapback]

Works for me. I can vouch for it working well with my montipora. I actually just "knocked over" a couple more frags to try it out again.

Earlier in the Summer I got a frag of Acro Yongei from CaribbeanJake. The one place I wanted it mounted had a slot in the rock, but to get it to stay (without help) it was placed on its side (the original is in the shape of a squashed Y). It is now doing exactly what I wanted and that is new stalks are growing upward, maybe about 6, but two are dominant. Two areas are also going down which I hope will attach to the rock to stablize as the piece gets bigger.

Chris

yea, old news man, we learned that at MACNA!!!

LOL

just kidding, the only sps i have are mounted at an angle so i do get new growth going up.

45573[/snapback]

Some of us spent all of our time at MACNA actually working....

Some of us spent all of our time at MACNA actually working....

45577[/snapback]

Hey!!! I put in a lot of hours buddy. So there... get off my back. ;)

Read this thread..............then make up your mind. I like the thought of making more frags from a sinfle piece. It also depends on what you want the final shape to be. I recently mounted some 13 frags & depending on how I wanted the growth I mounted them "tree style" or horizontal. Those that I wanted to take up less room = tree style, those with more space = horizontal.

Calfo's Frag Thread

Read this thread..............then make up your mind. I like the thought of making more frags from a sinfle piece. It also depends on what you want the final shape to be. I recently mounted some 13 frags & depending on how I wanted the growth I mounted them "tree style" or horizontal. Those that I wanted to take up less room = tree style, those with more space = horizontal.

Calfo's Frag Thread

45583[/snapback]

Thanks!!!

BB that's the best way to mount most SPS.

Almost all the frags I've sold for the last 8-10 years ave been colored -side mounted.

I have also found that a slight nick or two (a V with snips) cut into the frag helps produce multi branch from the point of injury much faster.

I also mount plating monti's as several small "chips" close together at different angles on the same rock to create a nesting like colony to encrust together and scroll faster.

Keep a watchful eye on your ALK with new frags as they deplete it fast while encrusting.