Phytoplankton and Zooplankton

Enkay

Hello All,

Do any or all of you use any form of phytoplankton and/or zooplankton? What brands of these do you use and what would you recommend?

Thanks!

I've just used Kent products of both phyto and zoo, so have nothing to compare.

I use both. I introduce some about once every 1.5-2 weeks. 

I mix the following:

BRS Reef Chili 

Two Little Fishies Phytoplan

Cyclopeeze 

I don't have a ton of experience with other products, but my coral growth has been good (not sure if it is the food or not) while using this. I can say that my fish love to eat this stuff when I feed it. They always try to steal it from the corals. 

Edited by Jason Rhoads

I do, I use either a turkey baster, or the bottle that BRS sent with my reef chili. Usually I turn the circulation pumps off, but let the return on (skimmer off) so that there is a very slight current in the tank. This allows the polyps some time to grab the food from the target feeding, but after that they have to work for it :)

I fed my acan and hammer a blackworm each yesterday and they seemed to gobble it up. :rolleyes:

Anyone else done this ? I know paulb probably has :cool: .

I have used a couple, and have discontinued the use of one because of Nitrate issues, but still use the other with success (I think).  

The first product I was using was Brightwells Macrovore (Different than their Microvore that Djplus1 mentioned).  I immediately spiked my Nitrates, and discontinued use after about a month.  My nitrates started dropping right after I stopped using it.  Who knows, maybe I was adding it wrong, but I was using a small dose than the bottle suggested.  

The second product, which I am still using is Kent Marine's Zoomax.  The reason I like this product is that the recommended dose is so low. The instructions call for 1 drop (from enclosed droplet) for every 10 gallons.  I find it hard to believe that adding a product like this in such small amounts should have the ability to change water parameters much at all.  All my LPS and Zoas are happy and growing well. 

I'm actually going to start my own phyto culture in a month or so - using a giant restaurant-style pickle jar as the habitat! 

I want to get something similar going as well. But that endeavor will have to wait until I get into a bigger place. 

I used to make my own phyto as well. I really had good success with feeding about one liter a week. I also dosed vodka and peroxide daily. I got tired of the manual dosing so quit the phyto as well. No real difference on coral growth but the colors of my corals was better when dosing and phyto. Also had lots of pods.