zygote2k

Love them. Wanted one in my sump, might consider a pm tank only in the future.

Yeha, That thing sure is pretty. ;)  Well not too colorful, but he's HUGE

I cringed when I saw the video. Idk if I can sleep at night knowing that's in my house lol

Did you get the one that was at quantum reefs?

nope- this one came straight from the wholesaler. no LFS to introduce cooties.

I don't know if I'm too late but since your "removing" the crabs anyway mind if I take a few?

They are the perfect food for the mantis. You cannot have them.

Seriously though- these shrimps make excellent pets and can easily be trained to eat from your hands. Even if this one were to 'attack' my hand, it wouldn't do any damage because it's simply too small and since it's a smasher. If it were a spearing type of mantis, then I'd be more leery of petting it.

These are excellent mixed reef animals as long as they have a constant supply of snails and crabs.

The video is full of false statements too- they absolutely cannot break aquarium glass, especially not thick glass or even a 10 gallon tank. They typically do not eat your fish either. The 'thumbsplitter' moniker comes from some of the truly large specimens that grow over a foot long, not one of these harmless peacocks.

If you've ever caught Crawfish before, then you realize just how small a 6" mantis really is and that it can't hurt you.

Edited by zygote2k

nope- this one came straight from the wholesaler. no LFS to introduce cooties.

They are the perfect food for the mantis. You cannot have them.

I didn't know sorry I thought you got wanted them out quickly is why I asked.

I always been fascinated by the Mantis shrimp, but I always figured they would be a headache to keep.

I always been fascinated by the Mantis shrimp, but I always figured they would be a headache to keep.

Cake. throw in food in form of clean up crew, feed CUC, mantis devours CUC. low light, med flow, skimmer, sump, 1x/mo w/c.