SG too high help please

Joshifer

Hi again. 8 gallon aqueon 12lbs of LR and about 2 and a half to 3 inches sand bed.

Anyway i purchased a hydrometer today. I know their inaccurate but can't afford a refract til next week.

It checked at 1.028 that's a bit high.

I read online RO water would dilute it.

My LFS was closed for the holiday I went over to walmart and noticed their RO vending machine.

Would this be ok to dilute the salt? Maybe if I dosed it with prime and stuck a power head and heater inside it for a while.

If I can do this method. How much water would I remove?

I assume I would replace it cup by cup over a period of time.

Any help greatly appreciated.

This is a new tank, no livestock?

It's new. Setup aug 28th Theirs a oscerillis juvinile clown in there.

Petland told me if I purchased live water rock and sand I can add a fish the next day he seems fine he's eating and swimming he's a little scared stays in a corner but when I put food he attacks it lol

Edited by Joshifer

Ok, just lower it slowly, most hydro's are off some, so if you get it down to 1.024 your should be close. RO water is fine to use, so is distilled.

You want to slowly bring your salinity down. Use RO water and add a little bit over a couple hours until you reach 1.025

Ok, just lower it slowly, most hydro's are off some, so if you get it down to 1.024 your should be close. RO water is fine to use, so is distilled.

How much water do I remove? I don't have 8 gallons cus of Rock and sand it's more like 5 or 6?

You will need to take water out of the tank and add in the RO water.  Topping it off with RO water will not drop the salinity.

First thing I would do is borrow a refractometer.  I've had hydrometers in the past that were way off.  So, it's possible your salinity is fine.  

You want to slowly bring your salinity down. Use RO water and add a little bit over a couple hours until you reach 1.025

So the walmart RO vending machine would be ok to use? Or should I buy a bottle of distilled drinking water ? Either way I'd dose it with prime or amquelplus before using

So the walmart RO vending machine would be ok to use? Or should I buy a bottle of distilled drinking water ? Either way I'd dose it with prime or amquelplus before using

It's hard to really know what the quality of the water is with out testing it.  I'm sure it's fine and would use it.

It's hard to really know what the quality of the water is with out testing it.  I'm sure it's fine and would use it.

I used deer park distilled in my 14 gallons for topping off with no ill effects for about 4 months. You should be alright in this pinch.

Pm me tomorrow...I'm in Woodbridge will be home teleworking for a change. If you come by with a water sample I can confirm your SG with a refractometer and pour you a gallon or two of RODI to tide you over until you work out your normal routine.

Pm me tomorrow...I'm in Woodbridge will be home teleworking for a change. If you come by with a water sample I can confirm your SG with a refractometer and pour you a gallon or two of RODI to tide you over until you work out your normal routine.

That would be awesome thanks

The quality of distilled or RO/DI (note the "DI" added) is better known than simple "RO" water. If you have a choice on what to buy, just get some distilled.

When making up for evaporation, are you topping off with fresh water or salt water? If you top off with salt water, your salinity will creep up as evaporation removes water and not salt from the tank, and adding saltwater only adds more salt. Topping off (replacing water lost to evaporation) with freshwater is a must. Topping off with salt water is a somewhat common and  easy to make mistake for beginners.

Are you planning on trying corals out in this tank or do you think that you'll keep this a fish-only system?

Oh, and be sure to tap that hydrometer with your finger a few times to ensure that you knock any bubbles that my be floating the swing arm higher than it should, thereby giving you a higher reading.

The quality of distilled or RO/DI (note the "DI" added) is better known than simple "RO" water. If you have a choice on what to buy, just get some distilled.

When making up for evaporation, are you topping off with fresh water or salt water? If you top off with salt water, your salinity will creep up as evaporation removes water and not salt from the tank, and adding saltwater only adds more salt. Topping off (replacing water lost to evaporation) with freshwater is a must. Topping off with salt water is a somewhat common and  easy to make mistake for beginners.

Are you planning on trying corals out in this tank or do you think that you'll keep this a fish-only system?

Oh, and be sure to tap that hydrometer with your finger a few times to ensure that you knock any bubbles that my be floating the swing arm higher than it should, thereby giving you a higher reading.

Yes I tap it. I got it down to 25 over a few hours last night didnt wanna shock my clown haven't checked yet today. I'd like to try a easy coral but I'm told my LEDs aren't strong enough.

and there are alot of us here in woodbridge if you need anymore help :) and just write on your hydrometer after he tests your water a + or - .00whatever so you remember

I appreciate it :)