One step closer to full tank automation

pettyrd

This has been a pretty big month for my tank.  I added the AI Vega lights, an Avast Skimmer with swabbie, an Avast ATO and just this Saturday.... a Bubble Magnus 3 pump dosing kit.

I have plugged it in and ran all the associated tubing to dose 2 part calc/alk.  But I haven't added the fluid or programed the pumps yet.  I guess I am a little aprehensive about overdosing my system.  I know that dosing requirments are subjective and vary greatly from tank to tank... but how much should I start dosing?  Is there a thumb rule when setting these things up?

I love that the skimmer cleans itself and my lights are automatic... this is the next step for me to fully automate the tank.  I would like to get to a point where water changes are the only maintenance actions...  (and there are plans to automate that as well)

with any two part dosing you need to know how much your tank consumes daily.  What i did was get my levels to where i wanted them and then test over a 2 day period to determine how much the tank is using.  then i programmed my doser to deliver that amount broken up over 8-10 times per day. 

Then i check usually twice a month to make sure my levels are correct and adjust if necessary.

Thank you for your advice... I will begin my two day testing tonight.   I do not currently test for Mag, Stronium or any additive other than Ca or Alk... do you use a doser for anything other than two part? 

i use my doser for MAG too.  If you mag is off, there is a chance that your alk/cal readings are not 100%.  I keep my mag around 1350-1400. 

with any two part dosing you need to know how much your tank consumes daily.  What i did was get my levels to where i wanted them and then test over a 2 day period to determine how much the tank is using.  then i programmed my doser to deliver that amount broken up over 8-10 times per day. 

Then i check usually twice a month to make sure my levels are correct and adjust if necessary.

Make twice the two part and add more often.  If you are currently adding 10 times per day add ro/di to cut strength in half and add 20 times a day.  The more small doses the better.  I mix the bionic really weak and add more often to keep levels spot on.  I think extremely stable alk is the key to sps growth.

You already have the doser pump, so there is zero added cost.

Edited by BowieReefer84

That's a really good point. Smaller doses more times a day... Doing it!

BRS has a calculator

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator

it will let you take your system volume and figure out how much to add (the first time) to get to a stable level

After that you need to test.

Once you see how much its going down over time

you can start to dosing alk and cal.

You should test Mag early, but later not as often. (adding tons of Alk with low mag is going to precipitate)

I dose 22 times a day 4 oz each time of Cal and Alk on a mixed reef 90G

the directions I've always been told for mag is one gallon as soon as the gallon of cal and alk run out (so I add it all at once, about once every 6 weeks)

I do worry about spiking my Mag - my snails act drunk when my mag gets too high too quickly.

BRS has a calculator

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator

it will let you take your system volume and figure out how much to add (the first time) to get to a stable level

After that you need to test.

Once you see how much its going down over time

you can start to dosing alk and cal.

You should test Mag early, but later not as often. (adding tons of Alk with low mag is going to precipitate)

I dose 22 times a day 4 oz each time of Cal and Alk on a mixed reef 90G

the directions I've always been told for mag is one gallon as soon as the gallon of cal and alk run out (so I add it all at once, about once every 6 weeks)

I do worry about spiking my Mag - my snails act drunk when my mag gets too high too quickly.

you put 88oz of Alk and Cal a day?  that seems like a huge amount!!  and a gallon of Mag all at once!!?  that seems kinda off...

Its 20 oz of BRS mag for each gallon of 2 part...

Some like to dilute it to 1gallon and dose it evenly alongside the 2 part....

Hey, I hadn't thought about that when thinking about my eventual dosing.  That's a good idea.

i did mean 88 ML not Oz

and I do spread the Mag out over a few days manually

I thought 100ML/Day was not unusual

I test my Cal and Alk every week and if its low

I manually dose some and increase the daily allocation a little bit to find the sweet spot

(its not very heavily stocked)