sump reversal?

Djplus1

post-2633366-0-06371400-1377380236_thumb.jpg

Just added my AquaC 180 and Eheim 1262 combo to the tiny sump. Note the direction of AquaC outlet.

post-2633366-0-25910700-1377380365_thumb.jpg

Here is pic hooked up.

The issue I have is the sump level has reversed due to the power of the Eheim 1262 pump from the over flow section thru the skimmer into the return section. I have a Sicce Synchra 2 handling the return duties. 

The overflow side used to be the steady side, now however if I take water out of the tank, the overflow side is the side that drops, meaning that I would have to throw my ATO sensor over there. My question is, will this set up be a problem? Or will I need to do anything in my power to make sure that the AquaC outlet drains into the overflow side of the sump, perhaps even mounting the skimmer externally?

Why don't you have the skimmer emptying back into the overflow side?

Sump is too small. Won't fit unless I do some chopping, which I'm prepping for now. I MAY be able to lose some threads on the PVC to get me the couple mm's I need.

Ok, now outlet facing back into overflow area, but I fear that the water is being directed too close to the input of the Eheim 1262. The bubbles are not nearly as high in the skimmer body unless I close down the output a bunch. 

The instructions say to run everything wide open for a few days/week, so hopefully this straightens up a bit by then.

On another note, how hard is it to glue edges of acrylic if I wanted to build my own sump? I have access to a cnc and everything else I need, so professional assistance is probably not needed provided I can make water tight seams.

On another note, how hard is it to glue edges of acrylic if I wanted to build my own sump? I have access to a cnc and everything else I need, so professional assistance is probably not needed provided I can make water tight seams.

This might answer your question. 

DJ, if you fed the tank or put your hand in it, the bubbles in the skimmer settle for a short while and return when the oils have dissipated. Could that be what's behind what you're seeing?

DJ, if you fed the tank or put your hand in it, the bubbles in the skimmer settle for a short while and return when the oils have dissipated. Could that be what's behind what you're seeing?

Maybe. But I had my hands in the sump right before I installed it the first time too. I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next week wide open.

Dj.. There is a very lengthy thread on reef central about acrylic work... I am still working my way through it and reading it, but from what I gather it doesn't seem to bad to build a sump.. How ever if you didn't need custom dimensions a standard glass tank with you putting your own baffles in is a great way to go...

Dj.. There is a very lengthy thread on reef central about acrylic work... I am still working my way through it and reading it, but from what I gather it doesn't seem to bad to build a sump.. How ever if you didn't need custom dimensions a standard glass tank with you putting your own baffles in is a great way to go...[/quote

Already linked home to it, see above!

Dj.. There is a very lengthy thread on reef central about acrylic work... I am still working my way through it and reading it, but from what I gather it doesn't seem to bad to build a sump.. How ever if you didn't need custom dimensions a standard glass tank with you putting your own baffles in is a great way to go...

Problem is the 72 gallon bow has not enough room for the usual suspects to fit thru the doors with a full tank. A 20 gallon long won't fit. I've got one with baffles installed, and a 20 gallon tall is about the same as my eshopps sump. Basically, I need my sump maybe 2-3 inches longer, with custom sized sections.

I think you might be better off getting Adam to build you one..the cost of material, tools, mistakes and the chance of never getting it right could equal a nice custom sump from Adam.

I think you might be better off getting Adam to build you one..the cost of material, tools, mistakes and the chance of never getting it right could equal a nice custom sump from Adam.

Nope, cost of acrylic= nothing. I have access to more tools than you can imagine, including 3d printers and CNC machines. I can mess up 10 sumps for the cost of one being built.