I think I'm done.

rebekwl

Well, after the Ich outbreak, and the catch the fish / Qt mishap.. I now have a huge Cyanio algae infestation.. Can't put anything  live in the tank to stop it, As the tank may still have ich in it.. I am about an ass hair away from getting rid of the whole set-up. Just sayin'. 

Aw, you're just getting started! Don't sweat the small stuff. Red slime usually means there is too much nutrients in the tank. Did you have anybody feeding anything while you were gone? Increase flow, if possible, and cut your light cycle. If you're feeding, cut it in half. See what that does for you, JMO!

Aw, you're just getting started! Don't sweat the small stuff. Red slime usually means there is too much nutrients in the tank. Did you have anybody feeding anything while you were gone? Increase flow, if possible, and cut your light cycle. If you're feeding, cut it in half. See what that does for you, JMO!

I know, i just wanna get back to reefin' , ya know?

OK manually suck up as much as you can...blow it off ricks into water column etc..do lights off for 3 straights days...wrap the tank if you have to. Increase flow and decrease feeding it will go away...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Rocks..

Your typing is getting bad. It's time to quit your job at A1. Ur buddy is wearing off on you.

Its this phone....hence my galaxy S4 thread....

This thing has a mind of its own...calling me ho was last straw! ;)

Ok will do all that. Lights are off already (I think that's what started this whole thing honestly). I got as much off the sand as I could 2 days ago, figuring that might help but it seems to have just spread and 2x worse overnight :?  What would you recommend a far a siphoning it off the sand?  It's all over the darn rocks too now :( I will try blowing it off, do you think that will spread it even more? Also haven't been feeding much because there are no fish, so that won't be a problem!!

I don't use a power head just syphon but yep the smaller tubing allows you to suction without losing too much water . I use a turkey baster to get it up into the water column so it can hit the sump.

use tubing and siphon it into a filter sock in your sump.  that way you don't lose any water volume and you can suck all the nasties out of the tank and catch it in the filter sock.  then take the filter sock out and wash it.

And keep in mind it's a bacteria...not an algae outbreak...so it doesn't always work the same, it it does feed off of light and excessive nutrients...it you have to keep removing it to get it to stop spreading...increasing flow sometimes helps it break up so it can't land and spread...but it's weird...

Edited by smallreef