Is this aiptasia?

howaboutme

Got this from the recent FFE with a possible hitchhiker. I've never had aiptasia so I am not sure if this is it. Can anyone identify that flowery looking thing that is noticeably different from the rest? Sorry for the bad cell pict. Thanks in advance.

2013-08-18150949.jpg

Ok. Thanks you two! I appreciate it.

I was getting worried that a hitchhiker of the bad kind made it's way into the tank. Funny how a paly can be found in the midst of a blasto frag. I guess there's no harm in letting it stay other than aesthetics?

I'm no expert on them but it may steal lighting and compete for space and nutrients. Also there is a good chance they will irritate each other with being so close. I would watch utube videos on how to frag it. Then Place it elsewhere in the tank to thrive.

I think I have palys. I have trouble telling the difference between palys and zoas. Here is a pic of mine and what they will do if you give em some space.

Oops here

Yep those are plays too...

You probably should cut it out...you can use a razor or grab it with some tweezers...and either trash it or stick it on a rock you'd like them on...they can grow over things...I have a huge rock with some plays on it and they have grown over mushrooms and other softies...

I'm no expert on them but it may steal lighting and compete for space and nutrients. Also there is a good chance they will irritate each other with being so close. I would watch utube videos on how to frag it. Then Place it elsewhere in the tank to thrive.

Yep those are plays too...

You probably should cut it out...you can use a razor or grab it with some tweezers...and either trash it or stick it on a rock you'd like them on...they can grow over things...I have a huge rock with some plays on it and they have grown over mushrooms and other softies...

Yeah, you're right about the space between 2 different corals. I have seen palys grow like weeds and would look good in the right place. Thank you all!

I keep them on island ricks not touching other rocks although they can release themselves and float so its no guarantee

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I keep them on my overflow, and you have some, somewhere already, Jack!

Haha...Yeah, I still have that hot pink one you gave me. It did detach like Jenn mentioned. It found its way 30" to the other side and attached under a rock overhang w/ absolutely zero light. And, I can't get to it. Oh well....Sorry.

I think I will try to razor blade this off the blasto and attach it somewhere. I was wondering why the blasto didn't look as hot as it did before.

Thanks all!

I have noticed that fish stores also use advanced lighting to make the colors pop. Then i get it under my own lighting and its not quite as nice. Here is the same palys under more blue lights.

Please be careful when doing any fragging of palys and zoanthids.  If you noticed at Frag Fest, we wore protective goggles and should have been wearing more than that when handling the palys and zoas.  They possess potent palytoxin and can be very dangerous if you're not careful.

Please be careful when doing any fragging of palys and zoanthids.  If you noticed at Frag Fest, we wore protective goggles and should have been wearing more than that when handling the palys and zoas.  They possess potent palytoxin and can be very dangerous if you're not careful.

Thank you for the warning. I don't think it would not have entered my mind.

I think I'm going to let it be the Frankenstein frag that it is now and see what happens...Looks kind of interesting as it is.

Thanks all for your help.

And when they say dangerous they mean no open cuts,protect ur eyes and wear gloves is advised..oh,they can "spit" hence the goggles..