My new AI Vega lights are amazing!

pettyrd

My friend and I installed my 3 new AI Vega modules yesterday.  They look so much cleaner than my old MH and LED actinic set-up.  I couldn't be happier.  But, I am concerned that I will over expose my corals to the light; especially because my MH bulbs were old and far past their proper spectrum.  Those of you that have LED modules, what percentage did you run your lights and for how long to properly break your corals in?  I just played with the settings for a little bit last night and set the timer to operate on the sun cycle of the Florida Keys with a maximum intensity level of  40% White 50% Red, Green, Blue, Violet, Dark Blue.  I also placed the lights in a coral acclimation cycle that reduces that light down by 50% for the next 13 days.   Am I all wrong here?   I will post pictures of the new lights tonight after I install my new skimmer. 

Edited by pettyrd

You are doing it right by turning the intensity down, and also running acclimation mode. Watch your corals and see how they respond. If they start to bleach, turn the intensity down, but I think you should be fine with the settings you have now.

I tried 50% in the beginning with radions and it was to much. I wound up at 30% and went up 5% every 3 weeks to a maximum 80%.

Thanks for the advice!  Today when I get home from work I will check their coloration.  After only a few hours yesterday with all the LED on, the coral all looked really happy this morning.  My Elegance Coral was larger and more colorful than it has been in weeks! 

I have been chasing my tail around a coral dying problem for months... maybe i'm being too optomistic... but I think the good lighting is working.  My zooas were all open and happy, the meat coral was a little more colorful and like i said the Elegance looked great.  Fingers crossed. 

Tonight I will be installing my new Avast skimmer...  can't wait to see what it pulls out of the water.   My old SWC is barely producing bubbles.

you might want to start lower but you'll know more when you get back home tonight. enjoy your new lights - going from MHs to LEDs is a huge space and energy saver, i bet.

My old SWC is barely producing bubbles.

it's hard to beat an SWC. for resale or backup, it'd be nice to have it running top-notch. have you cleaned it lately?

it's hard to beat an SWC. for resale or backup, it'd be nice to have it running top-notch. have you cleaned it lately?

dang... I haven't cleaned the pump in ages.  Good info!  I will clean that thing up and see if it helps.  

Here are a few pics.

null-4.jpg

null-5.jpg

null-6.jpg

Looks great, congrats! I noticed a huge change in my corals growth and color once I went from metal halides to LEDs. Granted, the LED's didn't look as natural, it was worth it to keep from feeling like I was walking into the Sahara every time I came home!

I agree. The LEDs aren't quite as real looking as the MH were... But I will certainly trade that single thing for all the advantages of having LEDs.

BTW... Here is a pic of the new Black Pearl in the sump... Fits like a glove!

null-7.jpg