White spot on one eye of Chalk Bass

howaboutme

Hello all...

I just noticed that my chalk bass has a white spot on one of it's eyes. There is nothing else wrong w/ him or anyone else in the tank. Behavior is normal, no strange movements or scratching, eating aggressively...The shape of the eye has not changed (no swelling, puffing, etc). It looks exactly like the other eye except for that one white speck.

Any thoughts?

2013-08-02-Bass-3.jpg

2013-08-02-Bass-2.jpg

2013-08-02-Bass-1.jpg

Thanks in advance.

No thoughts, other than he looks angry!

I'd say carry on.  But who knows what else others will say.

Yeah, I don't think it's eye fluke. At least I hope not since it's only 1 eye and it's just one spot, not multiple little spots. I will keep watching and hopefully get a closer shot. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I don't think it's eye fluke. At least I hope not since it's only 1 eye and it's just one spot, not multiple little spots. I will keep watching and hopefully get a closer shot. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Did you previously treat with Prazi for flukes during quarantine?

I would guess healing scratch also. If the problem affects just one of a fish's eyes, the cause is likely to be a specific injury to that eye alone. If both eyes are equally affected, the problem is not likely to be a simple injury, and there is more of a chance that the problem is systemic - involving the entire fish, or in the case of multiple animals showing the same symptom, the entire aquarium

Thanks all for the comments and advice over night! I really appreciate it.

Did you previously treat with Prazi for flukes during quarantine?

The fish was not treated and has never shown signs of any illness.

In fact, the white spot is gone! That even surprised me since even if it was trauma from bumping rocks, etc, I would think that it would take longer to heal. (Then again, it could have had the spot for a few days but I just noticed it.) I will keep an eye on it today anyways.

Again, thank you all.

Thanks all for the comments and advice over night! I really appreciate it.

The fish was not treated and has never shown signs of any illness.

In fact, the white spot is gone! That even surprised me since even if it was trauma from bumping rocks, etc, I would think that it would take longer to heal. (Then again, it could have had the spot for a few days but I just noticed it.) I will keep an eye on it today anyways.

Again, thank you all.

There is a strong possibility that the fish has Flukes.  You mentioned the "spot" is gone; I suspect the "Fluke" has moved.  Continue to monitor the eyes of all the fish in the tank.  If Flukes are confirmed, you know what to do.

There is a strong possibility that the fish has Flukes.  You mentioned the "spot" is gone; I suspect the "Fluke" has moved.  Continue to monitor the eyes of all the fish in the tank.  If Flukes are confirmed, you know what to do.

Ah..okay. I kind of thought it would have been too easy to assume things are all clear. I will continue to keep a close eye on it and my other fishes for signs. If the spots continue, I will post up. I do know how to treat it but there are some fine details I would have to ask. When the time comes. In the meantime, I'm crossing my fingers.

Thanks for your help.

So..spoke too soon. I should have waited until the lights came on to see but the spot is still there. Not worse and not better and all other habits are the same. No other fish have the spots at this time. I will continue to observe and hope it's just a result of a bump.

That helps to rule out a fluke since they move around.

Ok, that's good to hear. I know I caused some confusion by saying it was gone prematurely. That led to ridetheducati saying it may be fluke moving around, which makes sense.

I will keep monitoring. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

An update...

For about the last week or two, I've noticed the white spot becoming less pronounced and transitioning to a more cloudy look. In other words, the white spot is not a dot anymore but something that doesn't have a clear or defined edge but is bigger overall from the initial "dot". It also seems to me that the eye (and when I mean eye, I mean the "glass dome" part of the eye) looks larger than the other eye. They are no longer symmetrical.

No other fish have this, fish eats great, acts normally, no signs of stress. It does swim very fast in between rocks and likes to hide in crevices...leading to some to suggest (including me) that it's an injury.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Edited by howaboutme

Yep...taking he probably scratched it, just like mine, and will likely have kinda a blurry bit on his eye from now on...doesn't hurt them...and they get along fine..they actually seem to be more careful now that they have scratched it...at least mine is..she may dart but I can tell she's paying more attention to her surroundings,lol

Yep...taking he probably scratched it, just like mine, and will likely have kinda a blurry bit on his eye from now on...doesn't hurt them...and they get along fine..they actually seem to be more careful now that they have scratched it...at least mine is..she may dart but I can tell she's paying more attention to her surroundings,lol

Thank you. Hearing your experience makes me feel more at ease. These are really cool fish to watch swim around.

I've had mine for about 9 months....I put an angel I she doesn't get along with and the second day she ran from the angel and scraped her eye...she's has a much better burrow now...and still a cloudy lens...like Glaucoma in one eye.....but gets around this tank fine...hoping she does okay when I move the all to the 150g when it's done next month....

I've had mine for about 9 months....I put an angel I she doesn't get along with and the second day she ran from the angel and scraped her eye...she's has a much better burrow now...and still a cloudy lens...like Glaucoma in one eye.....but gets around this tank fine...hoping she does okay when I move the all to the 150g when it's done next month....

Ok, so the cloudiness will basically stay...Got it. I'm just glad it doesn't affect the fishes demeanor at all. Good luck on your 150! I'm watching it!

Well...the eye has gotten bigger and is almost a cone shape and is cloudy. Here's a pict:

9950442c-2914-4764-8140-7d45b31c53e5.jpg

It's the best pict I can do tonight. Like before, all demeanor is normal as is the rest of the livestock.

Smallreef....is yours like this too?

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Noooo... Does it look like it has air in it now? Looks more like pop eye at this point...mine never got that bulbous...

Yeah, it's like a clear dome. I did some quick research on pop eye... I guess jury is out on how to treat... Most say maintain good water, make sure it eats well and it should get better.... Some say treat... My water is good, 0 nh3 and no2 and around 1 for no3....

I'm still thinking some clumsy trauma caused this....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ohmygosh! Her eye got huge! Sorry for leading you In the wrong direction. Keep us updated. I wish there was a fish doctor on here lol some of us would pay good money for our lovedfishies