Travelling to DC...Any events I can work my travel around?

DuckmanReef

I am traveling out to DC from San Diego sometime in August and wanted to know if there are any meetings or events coming up that I should plan my trip around.  I am doing a site survey for a convention meeting I'm doing in October so I can schedule my visit whenever I want.  Anybody have any recommendations for me?  Or any shops I should stop by and check out?

Welcome to WAMAS! What part of the DC area will you be at? I don't know of any club functions next month but we normally have our fall meeting the 2nd or 3rd weekend in October so you might be able to make that one depending on your event schedule. We have some really nice shops around here so you could make a trip to few of them if you have a car.

You will realistically need wheels if you want to check places out. You got a few south of DC, a few west of DC and a few north of DC, somehow none are convenient to metro. 

Send me a PM with your travel dates as things gel when you get a chance.

(Sent from my phone.)

• 1 month later...

Can you push the trip back some? Right now the plan for our next club meeting is on Oct. 26 or 27. I think the officers are still working on firming up the date, location, and speaker.

Marine Corps Marathon is 10/27.  Stay away from the city that day.

Sound advice, it will be buuuuuuuusy!

So my trip will have me in DC October 12th - 18th.  Anything local going on that I should see?  

Hi Dave, it was good seeing you at MACNA this year. Here's a link to a search on the DC Tourism Board for that period just in case you're not limiting your search to Reefing type events.

Personally, having grown up around jets and during the Apollo years, some of my favorite places include the National Air & Space Museum (on the Mall) and the Udvar Hazy Center extension of the NASM (out near Dulles Airport). The Natural History and American History museums are always good to visit, too. These are all free and, except for the Udvar Hazy Center, accessible using Metrorail. The Center has a parking lot, but it's something like $20 to park there.

Of course, there's the memorials on the Mall, too. Some of them are really awe-inspiring. Especially the Lincoln Memorial at night. White House tours are shut down until further notice due to sequestration. It'll lift, I'm sure, some day, but not in time for your visit, I fear.

The National Zoo and about 4 miles from the Mall and about 2 blocks from the Woodley Park metro station on the Red line. It's not quite the same as the San Diego Zoo (where you're from), but it still quite good and it's free.

If you like spy-stuff, there's the International Spy Museum (in DC) and, at NSA, the National Cryptologic Museum in Annapolis Junction, MD. The latter is about 25-30 miles north of DC.

While you're here, you may want to visit Chinatown or try some exotic ethnic food in the Adams Morgan section of town.

For culture, there's the National Gallery of Art, the Kennedy Center, and any one of a number of theaters in town. If you want to see Ford's Theater (where Lincoln was shot), it's a short walk from the Mall with regular tours for the public.

Nearby major Civil War battlefields include Manassas, Antietem, Fredericksburg, and Gettysburg.

There really is a ton of stuff to do and to see here. Unlike California (where you're from and where I grew up), the American history here goes back to the 1600's (Jamestown, 1607), and you can get up close and personal to the classroom lessons taught to you in school.

Where are you flying into?

I fly into Dulles.  Thanks for the ideas.  The event I am doing is at the Mandarin Oriental so I'll be very near the Smithsonian.  Maybe I'll just hit a few museums.  We are also doing an off-site dinner at the Kogod Auditorium in the National Portrait Gallery.  I did an event in that space last year.  It is a very nice museum. Thanks again for the ideas.  I'm sure I'll figure something out to kill my spare time.

There are some nice exhibitions going on at the NPG. You'll enjoy that if you're not too busy keeping the event going.

Are you going to have to hit the ground running, or will you have a few hours after your arrival? What time of day do you get in?

Rent a car and take an extra day to head up to Baltimore to go to the Nat'l Aquarium.  It should be well worth the trip and expense.  You may be able to take a train as well.  It is only about an hour northeast of DC.