Is It Safe??

I have a piece of old coral... a Brain to be exact... Is it safe to put it??

My Friend  found it and pulled it out of the Caribbean many years back, I assume it was dead when he pulled it... It has since, just been sitting out. Is it safe to just put in... or do I need to Cycle it first???   Because I'd Like to have more Rock in my tank... as I am Nowhere Close to the ( Gallon <-->Lb. of Rock) Type Thing...... So to Conclude... Is this safe to just put in, or Do I have to cycle it first...???

You could put it in as long as you dont think any chemicals or anything got on it. I dont know why you'd want to though, it will be covered by algae in a matter of days and the shape will start to decompose in a matter of weeks. Much better off as a pretty ornament. I pull out and bleach the skeletons of all my dead corals.

You could put it in as long as you dont think any chemicals or anything got on it. I dont know why you'd want to though, it will be covered by algae in a matter of days and the shape will start to decompose in a matter of weeks. Much better off as a pretty ornament. I pull out and bleach the skeletons of all my dead corals.

I would say it is safe but I would give it a good soaking to clean it off.

Sounds safe... but will it really Whither away???

(edited)

Not incredibly fast, but over time, yes, it will have less and less detail especially when coraline algae begins to grow on it. It will be fine in the tank though

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Mason, a long time ago, people used to decorate their marine tanks with dead, bleached corals. Believe it or not, some still do. When they began to get algae growth on them, they would take them out and bleach them again (with regular, unscented Chlorox), give them a good rinse, and let them dry outside. Sometimes they would keep a second set of coral skeletons around so the tank didn't look empty during the time the coral was out for a cleaning.

I wouldn't worry about any algae growing on it. The same algae will be all over the live rock, just let it get covered with life as it would in nature. The spaces between the septa will be a refugium for pods where fish can't get to them. I wouldn't worry about it dissolving away unless the calcium level and pH in the tank drops below the normal range. In a normal tank it will take many years to actually dissolve away. It would dissolve faster if you dipped it in bleach to keep it clean and white. If you really want the white look then giving it a clear coat would be the best option so you can clean it off easier.

I wouldn't worry about any algae growing on it. The same algae will be all over the live rock, just let it get covered with life as it would in nature. The spaces between the septa will be a refugium for pods where fish can't get to them. I wouldn't worry about it dissolving away unless the calcium level and pH in the tank drops below the normal range. In a normal tank it will take many years to actually dissolve away. It would dissolve faster if you dipped it in bleach to keep it clean and white. If you really want the white look then giving it a clear coat would be the best option so you can clean it off easier.

hmm. Interesting thought on the Clearcoat.

Throw it in there.  Almost all of my tank was started with dead coral I found in the tropics or underwater.  Thats what all tanks, including mine were