Bulkheads

YHSublime

If my drilled holes in the glass are 1.5", what size bulkheads would I need, AND any local vendors have them?

So if the holes are 1.5, I don't want to go with 1.5 bulkheads? I have never done this before, so I just want to make sure that before I order 4 bulkheads, I'm getting the right size ones!

(edited)

The size hole that you drill is going to be bigger than the actual bulk head size by I believe 1/2". ie you want a 1" pipe you have to drill a 1.5" hole. Bulk head supplier should have something out there to help you out also.

Edited by mr.x-ray

A 1 1/2" hole is for a 3/4" bulkhead. That is for the standard bullkheads that most people use. There are heavy duty bulkheads that have thicker walls and may need a bigger hole.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10090+7629+26312&pcatid=26312

http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/products/product.php?id=15

Very cool, thanks for all the info.

Coral Hind, that chart is exactly what I was looking for.

Well, first I've got to make 150 gallons of RO/DI. don't see that happening overnight :) No big rush, my first time plumbing a tank, going to be exciting.

Next question:

If my bulkheads are 3/4", that means that's the size of my PVC as well, correct?

Yep.  You going to do a couple Herbie drains in those overflow boxes and bring the returns over the top?  (assuming each overflow box has 2 holes).  Isn't one hole normally bigger than the other in those boxes?  Like 1 bigger one for a drain and one smaller one for a return?

(edited)

Yep.  You going to do a couple Herbie drains in those overflow boxes and bring the returns over the top?  (assuming each overflow box has 2 holes).  Isn't one hole normally bigger than the other in those boxes?  Like 1 bigger one for a drain and one smaller one for a return?

That is usually the standard, but I have never plumbed anything, I think I'm picking up quick :P This may be a better place to figure all that out.

And ixnay on the her-bay. I plan on doing a durso, SUPER quiet on my 57, no problems.

Edited by YHSublime