clear bubbles on sand/rock?

Djplus1

So this is a new one for me, what are clear bubbles on rock or sand? I just noticed them and it's only in a small area, maybe a 3"x 3" area. Some on the sand and some are on rock in the general area. They seem to wobble a bit like they are air bubbles, if that helps at all.

(edited)

lol....   They indeed just sound like Air bubbles... lol.

Do you by any chance have a pic, or might be able to get one???

I mean, they're small bubbles...clear, I'm pretty sure a pic would show just that. They are on the bottom of the tank of course, not floating as air bubbles are known to do in an aqueous solution.

How old is the system, when were they added?

Tank's about a year old. Not sure what you mean by "when were they added"?

Edited by Djplus1

I did a 17 gallon water change this morning also. I did just program my lights to do a realistic sunrise sunset  yesterday which has kept my lights on almost 12 hours yesterday and today.

Bubbles could be from algae producing more O2 than normal since the lights were on so long. Also, the water you used for the water change might have had micro bubbles in it that attached to the substrate. I don't think it is anything to be worried about just yet, see if it clears up on it's own. Be careful not to burn any corals until they get adjusted to the new light schedule.

Did some research regarding this a while back on this site and came across this thread so passing it on to you:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/55770-bubbles-bubbles-everywhere/

Worth a read. Could be the start of bad algae/cyano that may start when you up the light schedule or intensity suddenly. Similar subject a few days ago regarding the D120 and ugly stuff that you probably caught...Just FYI.

Did you recently upgrade to LEDs? I recently encounter bubbles after upgrade to d120. Then trapped bubbles turn brownish and slimmy.

Did some research regarding this a while back on this site and came across this thread so passing it on to you:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/55770-bubbles-bubbles-everywhere/

Worth a read. Could be the start of bad algae/cyano that may start when you up the light schedule or intensity suddenly. Similar subject a few days ago regarding the D120 and ugly stuff that you probably caught...Just FYI.

Thanks, I'll look more into this as algae gas seems to be the only thing that comes up online other than new tank cycling, which this is certainly not.

Did you recently upgrade to LEDs? I recently encounter bubbles after upgrade to d120. Then trapped bubbles turn brownish and slimmy.

Yup, just got my Reefbreeders 48" Photon hooked up within the last 2 weeks. I think it's the light schedule I started yesterday. If there are more bubbles in the morning, I'll just dial that light schedule back a ton as the new schedule has lights on for a lot longer than I used to.

Thanks, I'll look more into this as algae gas seems to be the only thing that comes up online other than new tank cycling, which this is certainly not.

Yup, just got my Reefbreeders 48" Photon hooked up within the last 2 weeks. I think it's the light schedule I started yesterday. If there are more bubbles in the morning, I'll just dial that light schedule back a ton as the new schedule has lights on for a lot longer than I used to.

Sound like you have early stage of what I had. I would cut back the light cycle, run skimmer a bit wetter and prepare a couple of water change within a few days. Hopefully, that will take care of excess nutrient and prevent the nasty algae outbreak.

Sound like you have early stage of what I had. I would cut back the light cycle, run skimmer a bit wetter and prepare a couple of water change within a few days. Hopefully, that will take care of excess nutrient and prevent the nasty algae outbreak.

I just did a big water change though. Do you think just cutting back the lights will help? Would adding more Rowaphos do anything?

Cut back the light will help. Like you, I had no idea why I got lot of bubbles until it went crazy. Since you detected early, I wouldn't worry too much. Should be able to control it quickly. Cut back the light and keep your eyes on it. If you notice more bubbles and slimmy looking stuff, starve it immediately with light out for 24-36 hours and WC. It has been 2 days since I tackled it, look promising. I has cut my light cycle in half and planning to slowly increase it along with small WC. Hopefully, it will stablized and back to normal.

Would it do anything to "suck" them out with a tube? Or is it purely a byproduct of some horrible happenstance about to befall my aquarium?

Either way, looks like its down to 40%- 60% for 6 hrs a day until this clears up I guess.

The water in my sump got low and the pump ended up blowing out microbubbles.  Those microbubbles were on everything and stayed for a few days but then disappeared.  If your bubbles are small, this might be the reason.

Can you post a picture so we can see better what you are dealing with?

I can't really get pics, as there are so few. But seriously, small clear bubbles on the substrate. Not the whole tank, just a tiny area in the front of tank. It looks like images others have posted online that people say are algae gas trying to escape.

After lights came on this morning, no bubbles, but tiny cyano patch in affected area. It appears that it is the beginning of possible outbreak. Turned light intensity down to about 60% max following sunrise sunset curve. Will see if more bubbles or more cyano develop throughout day.