water sensor for Apex

AlanM

I think it would work but it really isn't needed. Just strip the insulation of the wires coming from breakout box, then arrange and secure them so they are close but not touching. When the water makes completes the circuit just like the Grove sensor the leak will be detected. 

Hey, good idea.  You're right, just some bare wire would work fine.  But the drop would have to connect the two. 

Wonder if some kind of fabric would wick up the water and complete the circuit with a smaller amount of water.  I'm thinking of two long pieces of bare wire with duct tape on top of them and a strip of old t-shirt stuck to the bottom of the tape with the wires sandwiched between.  Then when the shirt got wet it would complete the circuit and would sense over a large area.

Hmm.  Wonder if some stainless mesh would work just as well as wires and wouldn't corrode.  We have that around here, or I could sacrifice one of my wife's strainers.

(edited)

I have seen pictures where people have tried bare wires and they have corroded and either been releaved that there was not water on the floor or cursing themselves because of too much water on the floor.

I have seen homedepot selling water sensor alarms.  You might be able to dismantle them somehow and hook them up to your apex.

Edited by scott711