Tank level

six-line

Now I've got the tank on the stand its not dead on level. So when leveling a tank do you focus on the stand or the tank? I've shimmed the stand with wooden shims about 1/4" on one end? Too much? It's still not totally level add more? Thanks.

Now I've got the tank on the stand its not dead on level. So when leveling a tank do you focus on the stand or the tank? I've shimmed the stand with wooden shims about 1/4" on one end? Too much? It's still not totally level add more? Thanks.

Definitely level the stand to the floor. The tank must sit flat or it will crack.

Yep...keep shimming the stand until its dead level...make sure front to back too! And make sure to shim in multiple places along the side that needs it so it doesn't get wobbly....

Try level on the stand. My 30 years of keeping aquariums, I have never seen tank cracked from not sitting flat;)

This is terrible advice. Make sure your stand is level, then put your aquarium on it. You have to shim it somewhere, do it under the stand, not the glass.

This is terrible advice. Make sure your stand is level, then put your aquarium on it. You have to shim it somewhere, do it under the stand, not the glass.

Huh! That's exactly what I said!

I would use the plastic shims versus the wooden shims... wooden shims have a better tendency to break/crack.. also you can put foam on the top of your stand to help with balacing as well.. i did it in my build.

Thanks for the replies, the tank is 72"x30"x24" glass. I did not intend to shim the tank it's self but when measuring the level should you measure the stand or on top of the tank? The tank is euro braced so I don't know if the the glass on top is off. I'll look for the plastic shims does homedepot have them? The stand is metal not wood if that makes a difference.

The glass should be level....if made well...so yeah put the level on top of the tank....

A d yes Home Depot should have the non wood shims... That's where I get them...

And it doesn't make a huge difference if it metal or wood...but should be easier to shim being metal...

Good luck!

Honestly, if its not that bad, you're better off having the tank a little off than putting shims under the tank itself.

I agree with this. Slightly out of level has never been an issue to me. Shims can also damage the floor/stand as the weight is concentrated on a smaller surface area.

i got my plastic shims from lowes.. how ever I am sure all hardware stores carry them.. its pretty standard stuff.. also in order to not damage my floor i put carpet tile between my floor and the stand.. carpet/some rubber.. great buffer.