Boomer's First Saltwater (15 gal nano)

(edited)

Alright, I'm taking the leap and starting a dedicated tank thread.  The tank has been up for close to a month so this won't be from the very start, but the tank is still in its early stages.  I started out with about 20 lbs of live rock and 10lbs of live sand + 10 lbs of regular sand.  I'm using a Ray2 Finnex LED light and an AquaClear HOB for extra filtration.  Here's what the set up looks like.

post-2633750-0-03446800-1373546555_thumb.jpg

post-2633750-0-52304000-1373547322_thumb.jpg

After I let the tank fully cycle I added a couple hermits and some snails (astrea and cerith) and just this past week I added a twinspot goby.

post-2633750-0-95595400-1373547046_thumb.jpg

I've also added a couple corals at this point--a ricordea mushroom, a leather toadstool, and some zoas (I believe PPEs but I'm not positive). 

post-2633750-0-91733700-1373547269_thumb.jpg

post-2633750-0-33203700-1373547239_thumb.jpg

post-2633750-0-11415500-1373547493_thumb.jpg

Everything seems to be going well so far, but three things I wish I would have done differently.

1) I way overpaid/overdid on live rock and I haven't even seen much in terms of hitchhikers except I did get a bunch of copepods.  I do think it helped my cycle, but I could have saved a lot of money on LR by getting it from others or using base rock. 

2) A twinspot goby may not have been the best starter fish, although I think it's a really cool fish.  Hopefully I willhave some better luck with it than I know some others have in the past.  Lastly,

3) I wish I would have discoreved this site earlier.  So much great info and insight!

Anyways, it will be interesting to see where this goes . . .

Edited by Boomer

You did a fantastic job!!

Best part is you will upgrading faster than a tank cycles (we all do! ) so you get a do-over lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Also you can get a cup of sand from different members and increase your biodiversity immediately. I am always happy to share and know most are...

You did a fantastic job!!

Best part is you will upgrading faster than a tank cycles (we all do! ) so you get a do-over lol.

Thank you, and don't tell my wife that.  It was tough enough convincing her that one fish tank was not enough and that I needed a saltwater to supplement my freshwater tank :)

Thank you, and don't tell my wife that. It was tough enough convincing her that one fish tank was not enough and that I needed a saltwater to supplement my freshwater tank :)

Once she sees pretty colors you will have her sucked in ;)

Once she sees pretty colors you will have her sucked in ;)

She prefers the pretty colors on her shoes ;)

We all prefer pretty shoes...but having a living picture is nice too!

And whatever you do....do not tell her she things die... She will see dollar signs being flushed,lol

Hopefully you can make it out to frag fest! As long as your a paid member you get a whole bunch of free misc coral frags....it's sooo much fun!

Hopefully you can make it out to frag fest! As long as your a paid member you get a whole bunch of free misc coral frags....it's sooo much fun!

I'll use the trick my parents used on me as a kid--replace the fish before she ever gets home.  Lets just say Max, my childhood goldfish, "lived" for a llllllooooooonnnnnngggggg time.  And I'm going to do my best to make it to frag fest.  I really want to meet people and it would be awesome to get some things for my tank, but it's a busy weekend for me and not sure I can free up the 4 or 5 hours on Saturday.

Even if you can only make it for an hour it would be worth it. Besides the free frags created and handed out there are normally local reefers with tables set up selling their frags.

Even if you can only make it for an hour it would be worth it. Besides the free frags created and handed out there are normally local reefers with tables set up selling their frags.

Good to know.  I'll do my best to stop by.  When do you think is the best time?

Pretty sure that FFE is on a Sunday.... just so you know!

Pretty sure that FFE is on a Sunday.... just so you know!

You are 100% correct.  Sunday Funday.  It makes more sense that way.

but it's a busy weekend for me and not sure I can free up the 4 or 5 hours on Saturday.

That's why I said anything :)

Fragfest is sunday 7/21/13 @1:30 starting..theres a thread for this i think under general discussion or club news..see yall there!!8)

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

So after an absolutely crazy past few weeks, things have finally calmed down and there are lots of updates to my tank!  A couple of weeks ago I went to take advantage of Incredible Coral's awesome buy 4 get 4 frag sale and clownfish sale.  I came back with lots of goodies, including a pair of clowns, Alfalfa and Darla.

post-2633750-0-89723800-1375456896_thumb.jpg

Alfalfa

post-2633750-0-74479400-1375456921_thumb.jpg

Darla

And an updated shot of my two spot goby.  I have no idea how this guy keeps on going.  He doesn't eat anything I put in the tank from pellets, to mysis, to live brine.  All he is interested in doing is sifting sand.  He doesn't seem to be abnormally skinny or anything so I supposed he's getting enough nutrients from critters in the sand for now.  I added a refugium and some more pods so I'm hoping that will help.

post-2633750-0-61814900-1375456990_thumb.jpg

Here is a FTS of what it looked at that time.

post-2633750-0-75463400-1375457032_thumb.jpg

So that was a few weeks ago.  Then there was Frag Fest and my trip to the Quantum yesterday to treat myself for making it through all the craziness that has been the past few weeks.  Frag Fest provided some great additions, including a rock anem from ERC, which is not hosting a porcelain crab (so cool!).  I also purchased a HOB refugium to help with pod cultivation.  Then yesterday I added a fromia star and electric blue hermit (and some snails) and then of course all the amazing frags from Frag Fest (thanks to all who donated!).  Here are some of the pictures.

post-2633750-0-05971900-1375457867_thumb.jpg

post-2633750-0-57327300-1375457870_thumb.jpg

post-2633750-0-01440900-1375457875_thumb.jpg

post-2633750-0-63082100-1375457878_thumb.jpg

post-2633750-0-23076800-1375457882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boomer