ID?!

Djplus1

What is this thing?! I haven't introduced any rock or corals to this tank in a while, but just saw this guy for the first time today. It's the yellow nudibranch looking thing. Is this reef safe?post-2633366-0-42534200-1373239741_thumb.jpgpost-2633366-0-97123900-1373239765_thumb.jpg

It's pretty cool looking, I just don't want it to be a monster.

Looks like a nudibranch. Can't tell you if this particular one is reef safe. Try Wet Web Media and see if they have it there. If not, post it and see if someone there can answer.

(Sent from my phone)

I had a couple spots on my rock like that as well.  Always assumed it was some kind of sponge, but guess I was wrong.

I had a couple spots on my rock like that as well. Always assumed it was some kind of sponge, but guess I was wrong.

These pics show what looks like gills (the feathery structures) and the fact that it moves about. Does yours move?

(Sent from my phone)

Awesome! Don't kill it. If you want it out ill put it in our nano tank. :). Ill give you a $10 frag for it.

I think it's cool looking! Provided I find out it's reef safe, I'll keep it. And being that this is the first time I saw it in the 10 months or so since I introduced the rock, and it's not visible now, I'm not sure if I could find it again if I wanted to! :ph34r:

It looks (but I am no expert) like a soft coral feeding nudi.  

Mmmm, looking online, you may be right, but the bright yellow is throwing me off as I see that they are usually white if not fed enough or brown. Either way, I haven't seen any corals with Nudi bite marks, so who knows. And supposedly Yellow Coris Wrasses make short work of them, which I have had in the tank since last Sept-Oct. So maybe he'l' be wrasse lunch if he keeps popping out into the open!

The "gills" may also be digestive organs. It's hard to tell with your picture. If they're gills, they're called rhinophores. If extensions of their digestive system, cerata. Skimming over Wet Web Media, things don't look good for it being reef-safe. There's a yellow nudi about 3/4 of the way down this page that comes from Fiji. Where did your rock come from?

Another about 3/4 down this page, too.

A good resource (referenced by WWM is seaslugforum.net. Unfortunately, their identification forum is no longer active, but there's still a lot of very good information there about anatomy and a decent species list (if you want to sort through it).

Keep in mind that many nudi's shift color to some extent. It might go white to brown to tan or brighter depending on what it has been feeding on recently.

Keep in mind that many nudi's shift color to some extent. It might go white to brown to tan or brighter depending on what it has been feeding on recently.

True, but this is bright yellow with bright white rhinophores or cerata (thanks Origami). The only bright yellow in my tank is my Yellow Coris Wrasse, if if this thing ate him, I may have some bigger problems on my hands!

The "gills" may also be digestive organs. It's hard to tell with your picture. If they're gills, they're called rhinophores. If extensions of their digestive system, cerata. Skimming over Wet Web Media, things don't look good for it being reef-safe. There's a yellow nudi about 3/4 of the way down this page that comes from Fiji. Where did your rock come from?

Another about 3/4 down this page, too.

A good resource (referenced by WWM is seaslugforum.net. Unfortunately, their identification forum is no longer active, but there's still a lot of very good information there about anatomy and a decent species list (if you want to sort through it).

I did look through those. The ones you spotted are by far the closest, but no exact match as there is a definite color difference between the body and the rhinophores/cerata. 

In case it turns out to be bad for sure, will flatworm exit take care of it? Do I just add it to the tank? Will it kill fireworms etc?

FYI, I have dipped all corals except an Acro Colony with 2 resident Acro crabs, in Coral Rx since day one, so this thing must have come in from the very beginning of the tank on the 10lbs or so of live rock I used for seed. I got them at Aquarium One in Rockville, so I can ask them where the rock is from I'm sure.

post-2633366-0-71226600-1373293819_thumb.jpgpost-2633366-0-92345400-1373293834_thumb.jpg

Caught it! Pulled it out with tweezers and there was a little goop on them so not sure if I mortally wounded it.  I can't get him to lay flat for a pic right now either, but he is still alive. I'm gonna leave him in this cup until I find out or someone can give me an absolute positve ID.

And I am curious also about more? Perhaps this isn't even the one I saw yesterday.

post-2633366-0-58988300-1373303859_thumb.jpgpost-2633366-0-24341000-1373303877_thumb.jpg

Here are bottom and top views of the creature. It's in a glass and still kicking. I do fear it looks like a soft coral feeding nudi, so it's unlikely to go back into my tank. If it is indeed bad, I should just flush it right? or should I try to feed it to my wrasse?

Upon first look of the first image, I just thought "sponge". As mine look like that and are the same color, but after I saw the second photo, I realized this thing is moving! awesome find!  thanks for sharing.

Whatever the heck it is, it sure is cool looking. If it hasn't bothered anything are you really that concerned that it all of a sudden will start wrecking havoc?

I'll still put him in the nano at the store.  I'll just feed it kenya tree :)

I was just in VA today. Not sure if I'm driving that far to get rid of the guy.

i vote live

Who ever said your vote doesn't count. With one vote tallied, I dropped him back in. Supposedly they only eat leathers, and I just pulled my Kenya trees to my other tank. The fish all took a small nibbles on the free fall though.