Vinyl hose leaking! Help!

Djplus1

So is there a problem using the braided vinyl for return lines?post-2633366-0-34654600-1373122255_thumb.jpg

I just changed out my hoses last night and one is giving me problems.post-2633366-0-06946000-1373122314_thumb.jpg

Ignore the zip ties, those are just a quick band aid, but the hose won't seem to seal properly on the return jet. I never had problems with the clear vinyl, just this braided stuff. It is rated for higher PSI, but it seems that the braids prevent a proper seal perhaps? 

I've never used the plastic hose clamps on my returns before, would this help? Or is it possible the return jet is deformed somehow from the change and needs to be replaced. I'd rather not buy new hose, hose clamps, new return jets , etc if I could get away with it, but I do need something today as it is currently leaking. What's my BEST option locally? (I have to run to Annapolis to pick my son up from the in laws too, so this will have to wait until mid afternoon with a towel on the floor)

Current design is a Sicce Synchra 2 running 5/8" ID to a T split to 2 5/8" ID to 2 Return Jets.

Stainless steel screw clamps should work. Lowes or home depot in plumbing department.

David

Stainless steel screw clamps should work. Lowes or home depot in plumbing department.

David

I've always been advised against metal clamps. Is it truly ok on the return line, since its not on my sump?

i use metal clamps on my return hose/jet setup and had no leaks, but mines was a tight fit even before i put the clamp on. was yours a pretty tight fit?

i use metal clamps on my return hose/jet setup and had no leaks, but mines was a tight fit even before i put the clamp on. was yours a pretty tight fit?

Super tight. Barely can get em on even when putting hose in cup of boiling water.

Super tight. Barely can get em on even when putting hose in cup of boiling water.

try the metal clamps, just dont overtighten or you may crack the plastic piece.

I've always been advised against metal clamps. Is it truly ok on the return line, since its not on my sump?

If it stays dry and doesn't become a rusty mess, you'll be fine.

(Sent from my phone)

I merged your two threads together so the info from both is easier to follow.

I have used the metal hose clamps with no issues and you can really crank them down tight. They also sell plastic ones like the link below if the clamp is going to be under water.

http://www.aquacave.com/Plastic-Hose-Clamps-P423.aspx?gclid=CJ7JrarJm7gCFcOh4AodaEoAmQ

We use the metal hose clamps in the pool business all the time...... even on our submersible pumps that we use to drain pools and we never have issues.  The ones we use on submersible pumps need to be replaced every couple years but you could just swap out the hose clamps every 6 months if need be as they cost under a dollar a piece.  With that said, I believe you're using the clamps above water so they should last forever.

I merged your two threads together so the info from both is easier to follow.

I have used the metal hose clamps with no issues and you can really crank them down tight. They also sell plastic ones like the link below if the clamp is going to be under water.

http://www.aquacave.com/Plastic-Hose-Clamps-P423.aspx?gclid=CJ7JrarJm7gCFcOh4AodaEoAmQ

Thanks. I accidentally hit post twice,because it took a while to load.

If it's a connection you don't have to get into often you could also rubber coat the clamp with this product which would seal it up.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Performix-Brand-Plasti-Dip-11603-6/202196703#.Udhzu__D-cw

I really think this would work if for some reason  you think the metal clamps will start rusting on me. My only issue is that clamps do rust (even in a non salt water environment) and break. And I'd hate for this to happen 6 months from now when I'm on vacation or something. I did go ahead and take everyone's advice and just slapped a metal clamp on, and the water has stopped dripping. I may, as a preemptive measure put more on the other spots just in case they start leaking. 

Glad you got the leak fixed. I would also fix the other connections too as you mentioned to make sure everything is tight. As most know that stuff normally fails when we are not home.