Enkay's 120 gallon Acrylic build (The tank that Adam built)

Hello all, 

Thought I would start a thread of 120 gallon acrylic tank that Artfully Acrylic (adam) is building for me. 

For starters, I put together the frame for the stand so that I can get on with the project once Adam completes the tank in 2 weeks time. Planning to have live rock and a sand bed in it. 

The tank will have a (almost) coast to coast overflow built in. Will be running a bean animal overflow system. I wanted this design so as to make the plumbing a little easier. Having bulkheads under the tank doesnt go well with my bad back and other physical issues which dont permit me to twist and turn in a cramped up space.

I will be using a 40 gallon breeder for a sump which I need to prepare by installing baffles and all. The skimmer is a reef octopus 3000 ex which I will be putting in the sump. Lights are leds (I have to look for the make and model). I might end up running a GFO reactor in the sump. 

Initially I am planning to put some CUC and Inverts and then a few fish. As the tank matures, I will move on to some softies and lps corals.

I am hoping to get some advice, suggestions, tips to make sure I progress correctly as technically this is my first salt water tank.

Thanks!

post-2633557-0-99544800-1372768969_thumb.jpg

post-2633557-0-40858000-1372768974_thumb.jpg

post-2633557-0-85577600-1372768977_thumb.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the nice comments. The next step is to get the baffles in the sump and get the skimmer a "dry" run to make sure everything works.

Yes. It is pressure treated 2 x 4s. The top horizontal frame is supported by additional 2 x 4s in between the top and bottom frames on all corners.

I will probably also reinforce it in the center but for now leaving it as it would be difficult to put in the equipment with those in place.

Which brings me to this ...

Can anyone point me to a simple and straightforward sump design ? Would really like something which specifies some measurements in terms of what should be size and position of the baffles.

Thanks!

I thought it looked kind of green. I don't use it because I think it could be deadly if enough dust, splinters, or moisture drippage made it into the sump tank.

I usually use either pressure treated or cedar....if pressure treated then all he needs to do is poly coat it a couple of times and it will be fine... That's what I did for my last stand and had it for 7 years with no problem...this time I did cedar...

But back to the sump...

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

I have followed this site for a lot of my own builds.....

Really, for as long as we normally keep a tank up and running before upgrading, moving, or something else in life, regular pine untreated wood is fine for a stand in my opinion. 

Really, for as long as we normally keep a tank up and running before upgrading, moving, or something else in life, regular pine untreated wood is fine for a stand in my opinion. 

+1

Also, more pics please!

• 2 weeks later...

Adam emailed me yesterday that my tank is ready. I will pick it up this weekend.

Will post pictures ... I am excited ... stay tuned.

I saw this tank the other day just before it was finished and I absolutely love these dimensions.  I dont know that I have seen a 120 tank before, but it is fantastic.

Pictures of the tank when I picked it up. Havent been able to do much over the weekend except poly the stand.

More to follow, stay tuned ...

post-2633557-0-52948500-1373892789_thumb.jpg

The other picture file is too large to upload. Will trim it later and post more pictures tonight.

I saw this tank the other day just before it was finished and I absolutely love these dimensions.  I dont know that I have seen a 120 tank before, but it is fantastic.

Is it the standard 4'x2'x2' dimension or something different?

Is it the standard 4'x2'x2' dimension or something different?

standard 4x2x2, dont know how I had not seen a standard 120 before.