Anyone running a DC return pump?

Jason Rhoads

I was reading about these today and am looking for feedback from anyone with experience (any brand). I like the idea of running this in concert with my WP-40s, and being able to control every aspect of tank flow.  

I am running two DC pumps by Waveline.  One as a return pump and one is powering my skimmer.  These pumps are amazing.  Super quiet, very dependable, and the ability to adjust the flow is great.  Before getting these pumps, I was using Mags and had used a number of other pumps in the past.  I wish I had know about DC pumps sooner, really changed my reefing experience.  I give much thanks to Quantum Reefs for turning me on to them.

Is the adjustability the best aspect of them, or something else? I really like the idea of flow control, but am unsure I would use it that much. Do you adjust your return flow often? Are you running a closed loop, or just one return line?

Based off of how quiet my WP-40s are, compared to my old powerheads, I would imagine that a DC return pump would be very silent.

Thank you for the feedback it is appreciated!

(edited)

I am also interested in hearing more about DC pumps, quantum really had me interested.

Edited by brad908

I am running the waveline DC10000 as my return.  No issues at all and it is very quiet so far (~2 months).  The 5 and 10k are not really controllable - that is something being fixed with the new 12k though.  It has a controller that you can adjust the flow on, but it cannot be controlled readily by anything else just yet.

I pretty much leave mine on full power except when feeding, then I hit the feed button which stops it for 10 mins.

I should clarify, I am not running mine on any type of controller.  I use the controls that come with the pumps to control flow.  I do not have a closed loop, but I do change the amount of flow in the tank randomly for a day or two and my tank really seems to like the variation.  The feed button is also a great feature.

Get the big pump even if you think you dont need it.

It is a very quit pump if ran on the lower settings

and has a small whine on its highest setting.

A issue  that i see is the power supply gets very hot

on its highest setting and long term i think there is

some concern.

Get a dc10000 and run it on its lower settings and

you have the best pump out there if you need to run

it on high i would get a extra power supply.

The dc10000 or its copycats are around for 200.00

shipped a great price.

Get the big pump even if you think you dont need it.

It is a very quit pump if ran on the lower settings

and has a small whine on its highest setting.

A issue  that i see is the power supply gets very hot

on its highest setting and long term i think there is

some concern.

Get a dc10000 and run it on its lower settings and

you have the best pump out there if you need to run

it on high i would get a extra power supply.

The dc10000 or its copycats are around for 200.00

shipped a great price.

dc10000 or the copy cats both cost arend $200?

I am going to save up for a DC10000, or 120000. I dont need a new return pump, but it would be nice to get one that is a little bit more quiet.

Get the 12k. It will be controllable with other means. The 10k is a fine pump, but limited in that regard.  I have 2x 1" seaswirls (very old), skimmer, return pump and aquacontroller running at max... and am drawing 1.1 amps.

The DC10000 is the return that goes through my seaswirls (they don't add hardly any backpressure, they just move). The only other thing on it is the calcium reactor, but that is a slow drip.

The skimmer has a dc3000 on it that it uses.

I was just pointing out that the pump uses very little power compared to most ac versions.

Jason

when you come by this weekend, we can demo the pump and the skimmer for you.  The RLSS lines are short on supply now due to the increased demand for them but we do have some already reserved to ship out when the new Gen2 DC pumps are release.... supposedly in the next week or two.  They will not last long on the shelves... so pre-ordering is definitely suggested.

Didn't jebao come out with one recently?

They are all the same pump with some different

fitting pieces.

Shop around for price they are all basically the same.

that's misleading. there is significant difference. the diablo and jebao line are not the same pump as the RLSS or RD DC pumps. the diablo an jebao are basically copies of the previous gen RLSS wavelines, though. the new RLSS pumps are very different - quieter, more efficient, smaller, and externally controllable which is really neat.