Leather Corals with Acropora

Jason Rhoads

I just read that keeping leather corals in the same tank as acros will eventually lead to the demise of the acro due to the release of "terpins" into the water. Since I started keeping SW tanks around 4 years ago I have always had a toadstool, and a finger leather. I have success keeping and growing most acropora coral (I have lost some) and am wondering if the actual danger of keeping leathers and acros together is overstated.

Does anyone have experiences they would be willing to share? I am looking for hobbyists with long-term (3+ years) success keeping these coral types in the same water body. Also, please post up if you have more information regarding how the "terpins" affect acropora as my google searching turned up very little.

Thanks in advance!

I can't ever keep acros long term and have a lot of very large leathers... maybe that's why? huh. 

I have a pretty large tyree green polyp toadstool and all my SPS seem to be doing fine.  its been in the tank for a long time...

In the books they say they will play chemical warfare if anything gets too close..so how close are your sps?? I have lps in moms 20gal and theyre cool with it, no probs..8)