I over amphipoded my tank

paul b

I may have over amphipoded my tank. I collected these in a few minutes in a tide pool that I got to in my boat. I have always done this but it just seems like a lot of amphipods at once. The fish think they died and went to fish heaven.

Here is a short amphipod video as they look just after collection :lol2:

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/th_2013-06-15162708_zpsde4ea954.jpg

Those are huge

In Hawaii you could use whales. I will be in Hawaii soon, the last time I was there I couldn't go to Lanai so I will go this time. Along with Kawaii and Maui as I my old girlfriend lives there and she ran Avis. She was in my crowd many years ago and is a good friend. We also met her there on our honeymoon 40 years ago this year.

those things are so big they're going to compete with the fish for blackworms!

They may eat the blackworms.   I have always put amphipods in the tank from the first day it was started.

In Hawaii you could use whales. I will be in Hawaii soon, the last time I was there I couldn't go to Lanai so I will go this time. Along with Kawaii and Maui as I my old girlfriend lives there and she ran Avis. She was in my crowd many years ago and is a good friend. We also met her there on our honeymoon 40 years ago this year.

sweet, let me know when you go to oahu and maybe you can show me where to find the good stuff.

(edited)

We are not going to Oahu this time. When we were there, it looked like Manhattan with palm trees so we will be skipping that Island this time. When we were there last they were filming the original Hawaii 5-0.

I don't think there is to much cool stuff in Hawaii tide pools. But there is fantastic stuff to collect there which is even better.

Edited by paul b

We are not going to Oahu this time. When we were there, it looked like Manhattan with palm trees so we will be skipping that Island this time. When we were there last they were filming the original Hawaii 5-0.I don't think there is to much cool stuff in Hawaii tide pools. But there is fantastic stuff to collect there which is even better.

ya, seen nothing but aiptasia in the tide pool i went to. plenty of crabs here as well. one of the crabs which hitchedhiked on a rubble is now in my display picking on coraline and sponges. not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing. at least it is not eating the shrimps.

I collected again today and I dumped those 5 or 600 amphipods in my tank when I got home. There was so many around my copperband he didn't eat any. I think he was dumfounded, he just kept saying no, what was that, OMG, look at that and he didn't know what to eat first, so he missed all of them. But they are all over the tank so the fish can't miss. I will most likely get a cycle of something fromall the seaweed I threw in there with them but I couldn't separate the tiny pods from the weeds.

I always did that and it never hurt anything.

• 1 month later...

Paul, Have you ever collected pods from the Chesapeake? I am interesting in collecting pods but not sure where to go to get them. Any suggestions on locations / environments and collection methods? Would love some help. 

(edited)

I  don't get near the Chesapeake but amphipods from anywhere are great.  You need to find a  muddy, rocky beach and go there at low tide.  Usually near boat ramps have some decent areas.  Just lift a rock and there should be hundreds of amphipods under it.  If it is black under it, that means the rock was stuck to close to the bottom and hydrogen sulfide forms, there will be no amphips under there.  Pieces of plywood or anything flat like that yield thousands.

Here is a 5 gallon bucket of them.

amphipods002.jpg

I go to this tide pool in the Long Island Sound

Project6.png

Edited by paul b

• 3 months later...