Hooking up Skimmer to outside air

Djplus1

I decided to run some line outside of my house to connect to my skimmer. It's an Eshopps and line appears to be 5/16"ish, but may be metric. I did run 5/16" line outside so I hope it matches up anyway. My question is what is the best, least damaging way to connect and reconnect the two hoses? John Guest type fitting? Something else?

Next question is, am I likely to lose "air volume" or whateve it's called as it's being pulled through 20+ feet of airline?

Is that to stabilize the ph?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Two things actually. PH stabilization and noise reduction. Problems? 

OK, maybe people don't know what a John Guest fitting is? I'm wondering if a push to connect type fitting, like is on all of your RO/DI's would work best for my skimmer. Main concern is will I be able to remove weekly without damaging the air hoses over time?

I don't think you will have a problem pulling air through 20' of line if there are not tight turns or kinks. You be able to tell if there is. A restriction just by connecting and reconnecting it and watching for the skimmer to react. I think a John Guest fitting is a logical choice.

I don't think you will have a problem pulling air through 20' of line if there are not tight turns or kinks. You be able to tell if there is. A restriction just by connecting and reconnecting it and watching for the skimmer to react. I think a John Guest fitting is a logical choice.

I don't have any kinks or angles, so hopefully it will be fine. Now to wait for the fitting to show in the mail. Apparently Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc., do not sell 5/16" fittings for some reason. Will this pretty much completely eliminate the sound from the skimmer now? Just from an in room test, I would think so, but I haven't been able to actually hear it hooked up.

Got my fitting in today. It is a night and day difference as far as sound. PH is currently going up 8.11 after 1 hour with all doors closed with AC on. Hopefully goes up even more to 8.2+. I will say, running the skimmer tube outside should have been done months ago, for the sound alone!

post-2633366-0-46678700-1371328922_thumb.jpg

Glad it worked for you. This is one of the more under-rated moves if Reefkeeping. Anybody that sets up fishroom should give some thought to bringing outside air to the skimmer.

Great news. It's amazing sometimes what a little fresh air can do. It also goes to show you how the air quality in our homes differs from the outside.

Tom, weren't you saying something about how you had to put extra extra screen over the outside part of the air intake to keep out the spiders and such?

Tom, weren't you saying something about how you had to put extra extra screen over the outside part of the air intake to keep out the spiders and such?

Yes, I said that. I still have to do it, though. I found several stink bugs, still alive, that had made their way down close to the skimmer air intake. The only way they could have gotten there was to enter the pipe up in the attic about 30 feet away.

(Sent from my phone)

Yes, I said that. I still have to do it, though. I found several stink bugs, still alive, that had made their way down close to the skimmer air intake. The only way they could have gotten there was to enter the pipe up in the attic about 30 feet away.

(Sent from my phone)

How big is your line? Mine is only 5/16", while I am sure stuff can get in, I can't imagine anything like a stink bug getting in there. I did caulk the 1/2" pipe I ran the line out through though.

How big is your line? Mine is only 5/16", while I am sure stuff can get in, I can't imagine anything like a stink bug getting in there. I did caulk the 1/2" pipe I ran the line out through though.

I have two half - inch (inside diameter) lines that feed the skimmer. The main line from the attic is one inch PVC.

(Sent from my phone)