Apex programming gurus for light intensities?

AlanM

If Outlet LightsAt10 = ON Then LED_0.10 

If Time 08:00 to 20:00 Then Then LED_0.10

Top one would be used for victual outlets, bottom one would be used for the physical outlet

Hmm... Not sure if you need to layer in any power at all? The fixture should be plugged in all the time but the VDM would trigger the drivers to light the LEDs.

I think he is using a virtual outlet just as a switch to run the profile. But DC8's aren't needed for virtual outlets.

in your above example you did not set a ramp time (seconds) or starting intensity.  Also 10% intensity is very low.  You will have to play with the intensity.   When do your actual lights come on?

The apex interface says that the ramp time is in minutes, not seconds. Is 0 a valid entry in that field to have them come on immediately?

I will put start intensity to be the same as end intensity and put the ramp time to 1 so that there are nonzero values in those fields, and it should do the same thing I would guess? Will it then stay at the end intensity after the ramp is over or should I put some big number in there to get it to stay at 1v output essentially forever?

In theory my LDD drivers dim from 0 all the way up. They arent supposed to cut out at a low value, but that is one thing I am trying to test by doing 10%.

IRCC, 0 is a valid value for ramp times. I think that is how I programmed my "non-ramp" lighting periods. I think unless you ramp down via a profile or turn of via an outlet, it just stays at the level at which the program last told it to achieve.

I changed LED_0.10 to have a ramp time of 60 and start and end intensity both at 10.  Did the same for the 25% one.

So I just went home for lunch and tested it. I switched the Virtual Outlet LightsAt10 to On and RoyalBlue  and NeutralWhite to Auto, and measured the outputs on those channels with a voltmeter.  I got 1.02V on them, and the RoyalBlue and NeutralWhite variable outlets turned orange in the GUI.  Then I turned the 10% one of and LightsAt25 on and got 2.5V, so I guess that works. 

I set the LED_0.10 ramp time to 0 and tested again, and that also worked.  So 0 ramp time must mean forever.  Wonder if it means forever at the start or forever at the end.  My guess would be end.

So I think I'm sorting it out.  Helps just to type it back and forth.

Great. It was confusing to me at first but after trial and error I sort began to understand the internal logic of the Apex programming.

(edited)

I still think they need a big list of stuff that can go in the Advanced field when configuring outlets.

I'd like to see a list of

Built-In Variables (so far I see Temp, Time, what else?  The comprehensive manual lists a bunch, but doesn't actually include the variable name, just the description)

Conditionals (If-Then, maybe While?)

Operators (=, <, >, etc.)

Commands (Set, Fallback, etc.)

Edited by AlanM

So I am dumb.  I took another look at the Comprehensive Reference Manual v3 and there are two chapters, 5 and 6, which contain all of the statements I was wondering about.  I should be set to do some unnecessarily complicated stuff now. 8)

Thanks Scott and Shoelace and DaveS for helping me figure it out.

Just to followup on the topic of the aquarium controller interfaces from stevesleds converting 10V into PWM. Here are the scope outputs. It seems to work well. I tried to take a pic of both the apex interface and the scope display.

First pic, lights at 0.

IMAG0217_zps0b5989b1.jpg

Second pic, lights at 10. Note that the LightsAt10 switch is on. Looks like about a 10% duty cycle at 500Hz

IMAG0218_zpsf1458bc9.jpg

Third pic, lights at 25.

IMAG0219_zps8a997ffc.jpg