help with compression fitting

jamal

i have a compression fitting at the end of a modified cold water line for my rodi. i have not been able to get that fitting to stop leaking when the water is on despite numerous attempts to correct it. would someone be willing to make the trip inland to DC and assist with this issue?

I had to replace a few fittings on a ro unit. I think the 1/4" line was different than the stuff that came with it. Try replacing the 90 degree fittings with the kind at home depo. I had to replace a few on mine. Was worth it because it was free.

Can you tell if its leaking from the tubing side or the threaded side?

You can over tighten them. If its the tubing side, try make a fresh cut end and making sure it is nice and round. Then make sure it is fully inserted. Sometimes it takes a little effort to push the tubing all the way in.

Are you referring to a john guest fitting or a copper fitting? Sounds like a copper compression fitting to me. If so, I had a similar problem w/ my cold water line for my kitchen faucet. Like hypertech mentioned, if you overtighten, it will leak. If that's the case, if you slowly loosen it and it still won't stop leaking, you will have to replace it. That was my issue. I had to saw the pipe immediately after the fitting (assuming you have room to do this) to remove the fitting (the best way to remove the fitting COMPLETELY). Once you have a clean end of copper, put a new fitting on but this time do 1/4 turns once you hand tighten until it stops leaking. Some pipe dope won't hurt also.

it leaks at the copper fitting. i used plumbers tape but didnt try pipe dope. may head back to drawing board. cant make water right now without huge mess. good thing its a concrete floor

pipe dope is not after the fact. I meant that you may want to add pipe dope when you put a new compression fitting on. but honestly, it's probably not necessary if done right. pipe dope usually works best w/ threaded pvc connections. Sounds like you should saw the old fitting off and put a new fitting on w/ a fresh end of copper. Hopefully you have room to saw it back.

looks like wrong stuff being used to attach r/o to copper. get right connection to copper adapter in store, then connect to existing copper.

Jamal, that's a lot of teflon tape. I've never seen it used quite that way. Normally it goes over the threads so that it's sandwiched between the male and female threads, sealing small imperfections.

First, how badly is it leaking? Are you sure that you're using matching threads? For example, a pipe thread is not the same pitch as a spigot thread. Does the adapter screw down completely, or only a little before binding up? Judging from where you've put all that teflon tape, you're not getting leaks from the compression fitting itself, but from the adapter just before it. Is this right?

not good with copper so all of your points could be true. i put alot of tape on there. there is tape on the threads as well. once i screwed it on u couldnt see the tape under it. it is leaking very badly. its a steady stream of water coming out of the fitting.fairly sure i got matching threads but would not bet my life. had a friend help who knows more about this kinda stuff then i do.