LED lights and your retina

(edited)

Widely used eco-friendly LED lights may damage to your eyes, according to new Spanish research.

A study carried out by Complutense University in Madrid discovered that exposure to LED lights can cause irreparable damage to the retinas of the human eye.

The damage is caused by the high levels of radiation in the 'blue band' light they emit.

The retina – there is one in each eye - is light-sensitive tissue that is responsible for detecting light and in turn allowing you to see.

Dr. Celia Sánchez-Ramos explained that light from LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, comes from the short-wave, high-energy blue and violet end of the visible light spectrum.

She said that prolonged, continuous exposure to this light may be enough to damage a person's retina.

‘This problem is going to get worse, because humans are living longer and children are using electronic devices from a young age, particularly for schoolwork,’ Sánchez-Ramos told ThinkSpain.com.

Eyes are not designed to look directly at light — they are designed to see with light,’ Sánchez-Ramos said.

Her comments are partly based on her 2012 study that was published in the journal Photochemistry and Photobiology.

The study found that LED radiation caused significant damage to human retinal pigment epithelial cells in vitro.

Some experts have called for the LED lights to have built-in filters to cut out the blue glare.

This is not the first time energy-saving lights have come under scrutiny for safety reasons. Compact fluorescent light bulbs, or CFLs, have been criticized for the high levels of mercury they contain as well as the UV radiation they can emit.

Sánchez-Ramos added that modern humans have their eyes open for roughly 6,000 hours a year, and are exposed to artificial light for the majority of that time.

Edited by sachabballi reef

This provokes more questions than I think will be answered from the one study. Maybe more studies will be forthcoming.

Time to start wearing Blu-blockers in the fish room! :cool:

The damage is caused by the high levels of radiation in the 'blue band' light they emit.

Dr. Celia Sánchez-Ramos explained that light from LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, comes from the short-wave, high-energy blue and violet end of the visible light spectrum.

Eyes are not designed to look directly at light — they are designed to see with light,’ Sánchez-Ramos said.

Simply stated, don't stare into a bright blue light. (It really doesn't matter if it's coming from an LED or a Metal Halide. If it's emitting significant energy at the high-energy (blue/violet/UV) end of the spectrum, it can damage tissue. That's exactly how UV sterilizers work.)

arc and gas welders too. halides emit blue light as well. lets not forget the sun.

generally speaking, you shouldn't stare at any extremely bright light source.

Simply stated, don't stare into a bright blue light. (It really doesn't matter if it's coming from an LED or a Metal Halide. If it's emitting significant energy at the high-energy (blue/violet/UV) end of the spectrum, it can damage tissue. That's exactly how UV sterilizers work.)

LOL - exactly, we needed a study for this?

except robs eyes...hahah

"Im the funny man.... im F*&%($g FUUNNNY!!"

--Rocco, Boondock Saints

haha freaking classic movie......its getting hard to read, i did an experiment and had one eye looking at blue and the other red......

I wear my sunglasses at night so i can so i can look at my fish tank.

Are you Corey hart?

(So just dated my old a$$)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My momma said never stare at bright lights they'll make ya blind!

Apparently, my momma is as smart, if not smarter, than this researcher, she told me this 30 years ago when we had an eclipse....and I told her it wasn't bright, she said that my eyes didn't know it was but the sun was sneaking out of the sides....she so smart!