jimlin's 75 gallon

Most of my fish died. Had to go out of town for 2 months and the jebao return pump died on me the first week I was gone. So typical for things to go wrong when you are away. I don't know any reefers in the area who would be able to swap out the jebao with the eheim 1262. After I returned, swapped out the pump and found all the zoas are gone, 1 banded shrimp dead, bunch of baby shrimps around, pods all gone from the fuge. In my jbj I was using as a hospital tank, blue hippo dead, yellow tang dead, one clown dead. Transfer living fish to the 75. Fish are doing fine now, but must be a bad sign when aiptasia started to die in your display.

Survivors: mushrooms, feather dusters, sail fin tang, black tang, clown, 3 cardinals, snails, hermit crabs, hitchhiker goby, star fishes.

Moving again soon and not adding anything else until after the move.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bad luck! Where is the next move?

so far all the fish are doing great.

lone surviving clown fish started hosting a mushroom for some odd reason. this does not bother the mushroom at all, in fact the mushroom is now fully expanded all the time.

one of the pajama cardinals have been eating the same white ball (maybe a small hermit crab?) for the past 2 days. not sure why it would not spit it out during feeding time to eat other foods.

the black tang is now grey and started showing some colorful spots.

tank is a lot cleaner now. I started dialing down the skimmer so that it will skim dry and that really helped the softies in the tank. the aiptasia are starting to come back, all the other corals are doing well and moving about in the tank. also started dosing just a little bit of reef roids in the tank along with the frozen food just to feed all the filter feeders in the tank.

empties out the hospital tank and will set that up once I move.

Glad to hear things are going well again! You had quite a trail for a while there.

• 1 month later...

Moved the tank to the new house. It sits in front of a window now and I am running the chiller at 80 degrees. Tried to keep all the rocks the same as before the move, but it was a impossible task. Replaced about 50 gallons with ocean water during the move.

A week after the move the cardinals continued to breed, cleaner shrimp continued to dump eggs and pods are still alive in the fuge. I noticed a huge amount of coraline have turned white or disappeared and algae have not growing at a reduced rate. I am not sure if this is due to moving the tank next to the window or the high volume water change. The tap water here is not as pure as my old place. Now my water reaches the di at 8ppm and reads 2ppm exiting the di chamber. Not sure if I should just fill the whole thing with di resin to get 0ppm like I did in my old house. Water pressure is lower here too. Takes me 2 hours to make 3 gallon of Rodi water. Surviving corals seems to be doing fine. I had the chance to get rid of the hitch hiker goby from my tank, but it has been with me for such a long time that I decided to keep it.

A couple of days after the move I added about 25 hermit crabs and 10 snails. I plan to add a clown fish to replace the one that died when I was away. I will probably not be doing any water changes for a while. For some reason the tank does better with less water change. Guess it is a benefit of not having any lps or sps. I may use this time to add a bunch of dead coral skeletons in the sump to increase the bacteria population of the tank. I will also start to use carbon. The 2 tangs in my tank are growing pretty fast and I think I will have to get rid of one of them within the next 6 months.

Glad to hear things are going better! Got any pics?

Low water pressure may also be the cause of the tds creep. Any chance you can increase the water pressure to the house? If not, I suggest a booster pump.

Also looking forward to more pics!

gallery_2633282_1083_139924.jpg

cabinet doors still needs to be sanded, stained, sealed and mounted.

gallery_2633282_1083_198116.jpg

full tank shot.

med_gallery_2633282_1083_311601.jpg

shrooms

med_gallery_2633282_1083_98460.jpg

tang

gallery_2633282_1083_135868.jpg

clown hosting shroom

Kessil 150a sky blue. I will upgrade to photon 48 once I leave hawaii. Not a fan of kessils.

I was going to say, those are probably a little weak for your setup if you wanted to do coral, even Lps.

i originally purchased these for the 2 24 gallon cubes, but the tanks were damaged during the move so i just used them for the 75 rather than purchasing a new light here. mushrooms seems to like these lights, but nothing else in my tank. i placed a small frag of zoas on top of the rock work almost right under the kessil to see how it will do.

looks like the black looking tang i have in my tank is probably a yellowfin tang. it requires a 300+ gallon tank full grown. it was the hardest fish to catch inmy tank during the move too. took all the rocks out of the tank and still had a hard time catching it with 2 nets. hopefully i can find it a new home when the time comes.

gallery_2633282_1083_84077.jpg

have these red/brown things first growing mainly in my fuge and now its allover the main tank. not sure what it is and guess it may be some sort of egg/larvae of critters in my tank.

gallery_2633282_1083_398843.jpg

gallery_2633282_1083_310840.jpg

gallery_2633282_1083_799.jpg

the cardinal holding eggs in its mouth

gallery_2633282_1083_97031.jpg

a better picture of the yellowfin tang

gallery_2633282_1083_65784.jpg

a new tang i got today. it has blues on the body and fins and looks pretty nice. other tangs didnt pick on it too much since it is about half the size of the other two. i think i have a addiction to tangs. i will give this away when it gets too big for my tank.

gallery_2633282_1083_156407.jpg

clown and its shroom

gallery_2633282_1083_232837.jpg

didnt have luck with zoas here. here is another attempt to see if i can keep zoas in my tank. i picked it up 2 days ago from a buddy. it got knocked over last night and this morning i glued it to the rock work. it sits right under the kessil about 18 inches under the light. it still looks angry so i guess ill give it a bit for it to get used to my tank or else i will have to give it away. hopefully it will do better than the ones i previously had in my tank.

after adding the lavender tang the sailfin and yellowfin stopped fighting. tangs in my tank are all at peace for now. hopefully this will last. the zoa is not doing too good and has yet to fully open up. not sure how much longer i should hold on to it.

i started soaking seaweed with selcon. i will also start feeding my fish topiko to vary their diet. the white stripe on the tail of my clown is getting darker and i want to make sure it is not due to lack of vitamins from the food. so far i been feeding it frozen shrimp and pellets/flake. would feed it fresh fish but the markets here seem to inject the fish with artificial colors to make it look fresh. if i get sick from eating sashimi grade fish from the markets, i dont know how the fishes will do eating it.

Ugh...I'd just stick with the mushrooms...

The fish look good..I'm assuming none of the fish stores carry the frozen cubed food out there?

And it looks like the brown things in the fuge are flatworms...

some of the stores carry frozen food, but variety are very limited and san francisco brand is what i seen most of.

i bought some sushi roe which is flying fish eggs. some people here feed their fish these eggs which is why i am testing it out in my tank. the benefits seems to be pretty good for the most part.

gallery_2633282_1083_46880.jpg

i picked the one that does not contain seasonings, but contains dye similar to most seafood i seen in the markets.

it tasted good and didnt get sick from it. it took several rinses to get the color out.

none of my fish went bonkers for it. cardinals tried eating it, but quickly spit it out. guess i will not be feeding this to my fish again.

i think it is flatworms in my tank. after talking to some of the people who had these in their tank, they said it should go away on its own. after some research, i think the best way to tackle this is to get something that will naturally eat it. i decided on the yellow wrasse because it is the easiest and hardiest wrasse locally available and it is also the cheapest. yesturday i purchased one along with a misbar clown. the clown is swimming around the tank, but not quite buddy buddy with the other clown yet. the yellow wrasse went straight into the sand after i put it in the tank and i have not seen it since.

Do you have selcon out there? You might try soaking the roe in that.

i soak nori with selcon and garlic extract but did not try it on the roe. i figured i didnt have to soak it since fish eggs would probably be a natural food source for fishes and fishes would naturally love to eat it.

i soak nori with selcon and garlic extract but did not try it on the roe. i figured i didnt have to soak it since fish eggs would probably be a natural food source for fishes and fishes would naturally love to eat it.

Smart logic!

yellow wrasse finally came out of hiding after 3 days. it ate some of the frozen shrimp and roamed around the tank and went back to hiding at around 4pm. hopefully it will be less than 3 days until i see it again.

• 2 months later...