My DIY stand, canopy and LEDS.

robertmi

I'm new here so I wanted to show off my DIY stand, canopy and leds. I have a 2 tank system tied together with a common sump. I also wanted it to be interesting to look at and also to experiment with. The lower tank has a 400wt 20K XM MH on the right side of the tank and the left side has a 175wt 20K XM MH. The top tank has DIY Cree leds from rapid led. The point was to put lots of the same corals in both tanks from one system and see the difference in colors of the corals. I have had this up and running for over a year with this set up. I am still a fan of the MH's. Whenever I get a large tank I would like to mix both. I have different albums on the link so click through them all and tell me what you think.

http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p562/robertmi/

Welcome to Wamas, your tank looks good. I made my unit myself too. I used 18 cree leds, 9 cool whites and 9 Royal Blue's. They are powered by 4 1000ma buckpucks and the blue's are powered 100% while the whites are only 60%. See the link in my signature for pictures.

How many leds did you use? Are you using any controller to dim them? (this is my next project)..

Nice setup! Welcome to WAMAS. Once you become a paid member you will gain access to a lot more of the board which is currently hidden to "BB Members". Our "for sale/free/trade" and auction sections are pretty active.

I am using a Typhon controller to dim them. I have 2 fixtures, 48 total leds (32RB 16CW).

Welcome to Wamas, your tank looks good. I made my unit myself too. I used 18 cree leds, 9 cool whites and 9 Royal Blue's. They are powered by 4 1000ma buckpucks and the blue's are powered 100% while the whites are only 60%. See the link in my signature for pictures.

How many leds did you use? Are you using any controller to dim them? (this is my next project)..

• 1 month later...

Can you show pictures of your light fixtures and how you wired them if its not to inconvenient for you? I am looking at building 2 of my own.

I bought this kit.

http://www.rapidled.com/48-ultra-premium-led-diy-kit-with-dimmable-drivers/

Then bought the heatsink, cover, hanging kit and fans seperate.  I got the "P" series drivers so that I could use the typhon controller.  It has 4 channels and you can combine 2 drivers for each channel, so 8 total drivers.  Here is a link to the controller.

http://www.rapidled.com/48-ultra-premium-led-diy-kit-with-dimmable-drivers/

I didn't take pics along the way because it went so fast.  Once I got to soldering I didn't stop.  A note to make soldering leds easy is to melt solder on the gun where it is about to drip off the gun then just touch the gun to the wire and led pad and boom, move to the next led.

I am using a Typhon controller to dim them. I have 2 fixtures, 48 total leds (32RB 16CW).

I used a total of 18 cree leds & the buckpucks have dimmers Already. I will use a reefkeeper lite controler with the dimmer attachment to create a sunrise & sunset effect!!