Objective: Raising canopy vertically - need input

wade

As the title mentions, what I would like to do is design a mechanical system for raising my canopy straight up. I do not want a motor or other electronics.

I can readily attach a rail system to the back of the stand, so I was thinking that I would like to run those rails up from the stand to the canopy and above. Then I could arrange some type of pulley system or similar mechanical means of making it easier to raise the canopy and then lock it into place.

My problem is that I have no idea what hardware may exist that would allow me to create such a system. I am no engineer, though I like to think I can DIY well enough. :p It would not be hard to attach 3 vertical channels up the back of the stand and onto the canopy itself. A garage door spring type operation comes to mind, but if I were to go that route it would need to be clean looking at the spring hidden (no catching little hands/fingers in it).

Things I would like:

-mechanical means of making the lifting easier

-locking mechanism so that when it is up, it stays up

-needs to look clean

Things I don't want:

-no electric motors, although I might reconsider with good reason

-something bulky that detracts from the tank

Anyone seen anything of this sort? Have any ideas?

what a waste.....web cams with a screen right there....is that for when the lift doesnt work haha...

things you need to think about are weight.....there are plenty of plant lift systems etc that could be used to lift (alot like the retractable dog leashes)

if its not too heavy thats an easy and very clean solution.....

there are a few bicycle garage lifts that are pretty sweet but not the cheapest things.

/goes to look up linear actuator/ - are they what are used on greenhouse vent windows?

I actually have a pair of bike lifts (very simple pulley's) in the garage I haven't mounted yet. Wonder how those would hold up with wire instead of rope? They don't really offer any mechanical advantage, but it would still be easier to raise and lower the hood so long as it were mounted to something to keep it from moving laterally. Would need some form of brake too.

a "Locking Gas Spring" might be what you need. This is what you have on the tail gates of hatchbacks that keeps them from falling down on your head while you load/unload the car. Until they fail of course. They do make them boats as well, so it might be a good idea to get one meant for a marine environment.

The trick will be finding the right one(s) for the amount of weight you have in your canopy. Too much spring and it will be hard to close. Too little spring and it won't hold the hood open.

Excellent. I saw their site yesterday and was mentally trying to figure out how to make the system work to my advantage. Their actuators are not exactly right, but should work.

This guy's set up is nice, but I can't put anything on my ceiling (it is in my living room and my wife would flip). However, I think I can pull off adding two vertical sliding rails. They do have an actuator that actually is 'self contained' and slides on its own that might work.

My biggest issue left at this point is, structurally, how do I support lifting the canopy itself from the back. I think I will need to mount some metal bars to the top of the hood and attach the actuator to those.

Because you want to cantilever, off the shelf stuff will be complicated. I am not sure (didn't see anything in the literature at a glance) that states whether or not it can support a load on a cantilever. Just look at how big the rails are on the first article, it's pretty substantial. I'll be interested to see if you find anything off the shelf. If not, you may need to have a local fabricator make members for you to piece together. Good luck! I'm interested but have no suggestions for you.

As mentioned above look into the gas springs. The ones made for commercial tanning beds may work if you can find a good way to install them onto your system there. Those tanning bed tops are HEAVY! The shocks/springs they use to hold up the top part of the canopy open and close very easy. At one point we had an older model Wolff bed purchased from a closing tanning salon. It took 4 people to carry the top part of the bed, but it only took 2 shocks/struts to raise and lower it once they were installed.

Just a thought

There's no way I can hang anything from my ceiling. It is in the living room unfortunately so the garage style lifts or bike lifts are out.

As to the gas springs, they appear to be only capable of working if hinged. Because the canopy is about 14" tall, there's no room behind it to allow it to tilt enough to access the tank. I'll look into those a little further.

Looks like one company makes linear actuators that are on a slide (built in). I can probably make that work with some passive guide rails for stability, although it will certainly cost more than I was looking to spend.