French Polynesian Fish

beautiful looking fish! you mention quarantine - what is your QT procedure/protocol for these fish and does that apply to all your fish stock?

Pacific East sponsors many forums and can't monitor all forums and be responsive to every post. If you want a fast reply I suggest you email or call them.

Pacific East sponsors many forums and can't monitor all forums and be responsive to every post. If you want a fast reply I suggest you email or call them.

thanks for the input. the way it was written made it sound like these particular fish underwent this protocol. i did as suggested but didn't hear back hence why i tried here. i'll just ring becky again in the morning and hope to be able to get dr. mac or someone that can answer the question about what was posted.

The fish go through a specific protocol we developed of a series of freshwater dips, copper treatment, antibiotic treatment, target feeding of each fish, ozone and UV are also used. This is done in Tahiti at our collection station there, I went there and developed a specific protocol that is followed with all fish collected, some adaptation is needed depending upon species. We import the fish and then hold them and treat as needed at our facility here, and use low salinity, UV, ozone, treatment as needed. Generally the fish come in to us here in perfect condition and we have not needed to treat, they are already eating and have been in a captive system there for a while. Our partner in French Polynesia hand collects all the fish himself with nets and he is getting better doing so as time goes by and is getting a wider variety of species. Most of the fish we export to other parts of the world due to the economic pressure in the US and a general appreciation for the higher quality fish in Europe and the Far East. In some of the more remote islands there where we in the past have collected the Purple or Black Maxima clams we also are able to collect many Black Tangs and Achilles Tangs in small sizes and rare wrasses and yellow Hawkfish and other rarely seen fish in the US. We have also recently acquired CITES permits to export corals for the first time from French Polynesia and when I was there last time I started up the coral farm so many of those corals will be harvested when I go back. We also have been culturing clams and are slowly beginning to import those. There has just been elections there and the administration has changed so we are not quite sure how this might affect the permit process for the small cultured clams, this has been the one thing that has been the most difficult for us to achieve. They eat most of the clams there and even though we culture the small clams they had been illegal to export so I went there and worked with the then president of French Polynesia and the legislature to change the laws and we got that done, but French Polynesia is part of France so we are dealing with regulations on each island, then the French Polynesian government, then France, and then CITES, so it takes a while to get these things accomplished.

thanks for the reply and i think i understand what is actually done. i've read your tough journey about getting where you are with the government there already but appreciate you taking the time to type it all up nonetheless. best of luck to you!