big system planning

motti

I am planning a big system, that i am planning to install in my new home (moving toward december)

Tanks:

I am looking to get a tank 6' long, I have been thinking about either getther 180 (72x24x24) 220 (72x24x30) or the marine land 300dd (72x36x24).

beside the main display tank, I am going to get a 60 gallon frag tank (deep blue), 100-150 gallon sump, and 75 gallon refugium.

Equipment:

I will most likely go with a good skimmer, looking on the various boards for good deals at the moment, I saw something on RC ASM G-5 for 300$, how's that sound?

I am also planning to go with a calcium reactor vs dosing pumps. never messed around with calcium reactors before, but it seems like there is a lot to learn.

I am planning to have the display tank in the basement, it will go against the utility room, and i am planning to put up dry wall around the tank, and install access door. all the other tanks will be in the utility room.

currently i am just at the drawing board stage, and i am still trying to collect more information. I would love to hear what you guys have to say and recommend for this build.

I will be starting to collect the equipment through december, and will most likely make the tank purchase toward december/january.

Yippee!

Well I have to say your skimmer really will depend on which main tank you go with...I loved my asm g3 for my 150g...but in not sure if any of the newer ones will handle 600+ gallons..

Yippee!

Well I have to say your skimmer really will depend on which main tank you go with...I loved my asm g3 for my 150g...but in not sure if any of the newer ones will handle 600+ gallons..

I won't have anything larger then 300g.

I get that..but depending o. Your stocking levels and in assuming the frag tank and sump will all be on that one skimmer..I tend to buy skimmers 2-3x larger...

I dunno, it's a large cost either way.., I've not had a system that large...but depending on the frags your going to try and grow you may want a separate one for that tank?

Also, what return pump are you looking at? I keep hearing about the wave lines...but if your plotting you may want to go with a known good external....

I taking the bullet and ordering that ASM-g5 skimmer, was able to get it for 200 at the end.

There is also vortex alpha 200 on Craig's list for 450. But that's a little too much for me now :-/

Like I said I loved my asm...even if its not enough for all your volume you could add a cheaper skimmer for the frag tank..cuz that's a dang good price with the Sedra pumps...

• 2 weeks later...

ASM"S Rock! I love mine

I love both of mine too. I'm running a G3 and a G6X on seperate systems.

I taking the bullet and ordering that ASM-g5 skimmer, was able to get it for 200 at the end.

That's a great price.

Did you guys mod your ASM in anyway?

The only mod I have done is add the PVC onto the skimmer drain to keep noise and splashing down.

I used to run a G6, and like Coral Hind says, you are really going to want to do the gate valve mod on the outflow. The bigger ASMs move a lot of water, and the splashing on the stock outlet can be pretty ridiculous.

Since your skimmer isn't hugely oversized, you might want to think about a Swabbie. Besides being convenient, they do help the skimming performance.

Well that picture does nothing!

You must unbox and show us what is inside that packaging!

Ya... agreed, just wanted to emphasize the size of that thing, I actually took some pictures after I unpacked everything to test it all, and repacked everything for some reason the images disappeared from my iPhone.

The only mod I have done is add the PVC onto the skimmer drain to keep noise and splashing down.

I used to run a G6, and like Coral Hind says, you are really going to want to do the gate valve mod on the outflow. The bigger ASMs move a lot of water, and the splashing on the stock outlet can be pretty ridiculous.

I agree, if you block one of the air tubes, that thing becomes like a water fountain, How would you adjust the water height in the skimmer with a gate valve?

I don't have the gate valve on mine I just slide the pipe up and down as designed. Some add the gate valve and just close the valve down some to adjust the flow. The only image I have here at work is on this old G1 that shows the tee on top of the stock stand pipe going to a 90, then down below the water level. The tee prevents any siphon.

gallery_196_426_145839.jpg