Vortech Installation - newbie here

John

The Vortech manual states to position the dry side such that the cord is facing up (12 o' clock). I did a quick Google search and it appears the only explanation for this configuration is to prevent the dry side from falling (assuming you actually secure the cord). So, before I install this thing how often should I expect the dry side to fall, never right? Also, do you have your dry side positioned such that the cord is @ 6 o'clock or 9 o' clock?

Thanks!

i have mine set at the 12 o'clock position. if you don't support the cable in a couple of places it will eventually fall just by the weight of the cable. make sure you clean the glass really good where you will put the "sticky".

reason for the 12 is so when its secured and falls it wont go anywhere, yes i have some running at 6 and 8(or 4) oclock depending on your timezone....heh.

should not fall off ever, but if something gets lodged in the wetside it can fall, if the setting on the pin spacer is not right, etc etc etc...there are reasons but when its done right it shouldnt come off till you want it to.

main thing is to listen to it at full and low speed and everywhere inbetween, when its alinged properly there isnt much noise, when its a little off you will her harmonic noise based on the rpm.. good to listen to in ramping cause sometimes it is queit at full and not at low...

if there is alot of noice (like tire off balance) check the wetside, make sure yuor not rubbing the magnet if so, check you pin spacer and try again (may have it too close and too much force pulling the magnet so go to a thicker setting.

if still making noice check the ceramic bearing/spacer thing, to me that and the wetside frame (the part that holds the magnet are the two most common wear items....

thats my rundown...and hope it helps

edit as above, ive never had an issue with teh cable pulling it down, and have two that are unsupported as they are near teh bottom the tank and would only fall 1 inch or so.

Edited by Der ABT

There is always a chance at them falling off and that is why you secure them. If you bump the wetside to hard while cleaning the tank it will fall, or if a turbogets lodged inside the impeller it will probably fall off from the vibration. Im not sure it matters if its at 12 but make sure the cord is secured.

Great, now I have some insight...

Second question, if this thing loses power, will it remember the programming? For instance, I'd like to continue to use my controller for feed mode (shuts off the powerhead channel/s), but if it doesn't remember the programming then I'll have to switch to using the feed mode on the powerhead...

Yeah, Digital Aquatics here...not Neptune...

I just spoke with Ecotech and he said the internal memory is about one week with no power, so I guess it'll come down to playing with the feed cycle versus my current practice using the controller. He also confirmed the importance of securing the cord in case the magnetic field is ever broken...

It would be nice if they put a keyhole in the back of the driver so you can hang it...velco is not an option...agrr...oh well, I'll get some shop time this weekend to make a bracket for this thing...

The things you learn about a product after you buy it... :)

I have mine at 6 O clock. My stand has a small lip that comes up over the base of the tank. between the stand and tank there is a small groove i left just wide enough to secure the cord. It fits perfectly. If the vortech would fall it will swing down but not fall to the floor. I havent tested it but that is the assumption.

Hey Hey, I got this thing wet, but now I have a silly question...regarding the wet side, is the solid part supposed to be on top, bottom, side? Does changing the orientation of the solid section of the wet side affect the flow at all?

Light bulb just went off...most likely to prevent a vortex if placed near the water surface...i.e. sucking in air and creating air bubbles...

I still wondering if it affects the flow...anyone have any insight to that?

Thats what I do. It does work a little bit, I dont know if it makes a huge difference but when I first set mine up on this tank they would cause a sandstorm and when I moved the flat piece to down it stopped the sandstorms.

Cool, got the wetside oriented...yay...I've been playing with modes for a few hours...I like the short pulse mode to make a wave-like motion, but since its a rimless tank I'm concerned about stressing the tank...Is that a valid concern? The tank does have a bottom brace and constructed with 1/2" glass...the water deflection at the water line can't be more than 1/4" or 3/8"...undecided...I do like reef crest...long pulse is okay too, lagoon mode is similar to what I was running before with my Koralia, so I'm not impressed with that one.

I have had mine fall off once due to a hungry turbo snail, the dry side barely moved since I secured it as shown in the manual. I use the solid portion of the wet side to ward the front glass which seems to slow down the flow from that side an keep the sand in place.

Waves are brutal on tanks over time. Especially glass tanks held together with silicone (it constantly stretches and returns). I would not run a wave pattern full time. The fact that it is rimless will probably cause even more stress. Using a wave every so often is probably just fine.

I don't have any hard evidence that it is a problem to use waves, but it does make sense to me. I do know that a heavy wave can increase loads on tank walls by over 10x...

Yeah, Ecotech said they have never heard of a rimless tank separating due to their pumps, but I agree the force of 60 gallons swaying back and forth does not appeal to the left-side of my brain. I run the wave for a few hours here and there to satisfy my curiosity, but 99% of the time it is set for Lagoon mode...

Thus far, the wetside and dryside have not separated, which is a relief (yes, I just probably just jinxed myself)...