anyone got phyto? (not nanno)

dave w

Hey folks, about a month ago I isolated several types of copepods from the Chesapeake and have been culturing them on live nannochloropsis. However the cultures have not been growing like they should, more like they've been just staying about the same.

Does anyone have other live cultures of live phyto like isocrysis, tetraselmis, etc? Stores are fine. I only need a few cups if people have limited quantities. I will pay.

Many thanks,

Dave W.

not to highjack but i am also searching for this. trying to culture copepods and phyto as well.

I cultured rotifer for a few weeks recently and since I didn't want to bother culturing phyto at home I bought the refrigerated slurry. I'd recommend it and if you wouldn't mind driving to me I'd just give you mine.

Also if you just want tips on culturing phyoplankton I'd be happy to help. I mostly just have experience with dinoflagellates but folks in my lab do greens and its all pretty much the same. Most you can also grow on slants for backups in case something goes bad.

I have nanno that seems to be bulletproof. Not one bottle has crashed on me yet, other than getting contaminated by rotifers. Let me know if you are interested.

On a side note, what temp are you keeping the copepods from the bay at? I have thought of trying the same thing, but figured they were temperate. Also what salinity?

-Scott

not to highjack but i am also searching for this. trying to culture copepods and phyto as well.

You're not hijacking anything. You are welcome to the request. Maybe we can share a culture of phyto. I have some copepods I can give you for free.

I cultured rotifer for a few weeks recently and since I didn't want to bother culturing phyto at home I bought the refrigerated slurry. I'd recommend it and if you wouldn't mind driving to me I'd just give you mine.

Also if you just want tips on culturing phyoplankton I'd be happy to help. I mostly just have experience with dinoflagellates but folks in my lab do greens and its all pretty much the same. Most you can also grow on slants for backups in case something goes bad.

It depends on what the makeup is of your refrigerated slurry. Are they dormant/alive, or are they just freshly harvested and dead? I really prefer something live. Diatoms are a preferred food because they have an oil globule to keep them floating and the vegetable oil is very nutritious for larvae too.

I have nanno that seems to be bulletproof. Not one bottle has crashed on me yet, other than getting contaminated by rotifers. Let me know if you are interested.

On a side note, what temp are you keeping the copepods from the bay at? I have thought of trying the same thing, but figured they were temperate. Also what salinity?

-Scott

Scott, nanno is very hardy because it grows so fast and weed algaes can't easily contaminate what is already a 'weed algae'. I am keeping Bay copepods at my basement temps which right now are in the 60's. I have them at the same salinities at which they were collected, some at 10ppt, 15ppt and 20ppt.

It depends on what the makeup is of your refrigerated slurry. Are they dormant/alive, or are they just freshly harvested and dead? I really prefer something live. Diatoms are a preferred food because they have an oil globule to keep them floating and the vegetable oil is very nutritious for larvae too.

Its dead. I got it here http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Algae-Pastes-c6.html

You're not hijacking anything. You are welcome to the request. Maybe we can share a culture of phyto. I have some copepods I can give you for free.

thank you and sure. may just order it online if i can find a place that sells tetra or iso.

Hey folks, about a month ago I isolated several types of copepods from the Chesapeake and have been culturing them on live nannochloropsis. Ho

Many thanks,

Dave W.

How did you isolate copepods from the Chesapeake ?