Praziquantel source? (not prazi-pro)

matt

Check with Sean at Fins and Feathers.

Ive got about a half kilo left. Just LMK

Can you explain? How is it sold? Do you pour a certain amount in another container? I've never bought this so am curious as well. Thanks.

Similar to above interest....I know it's a powder, but when you say half a kilo I feel like I'm about to go to a true drug deal. ;-)

Sean, there's no chance you could ship some is there? I'd love to come out your way as I haven't even seen the store yet and I've heard such great things....but I'm bogged down on kid duty...not even the WAMAS meeting for me this weekend. Wish we were closer so a visit was easier

LOL... "Half a kilo!"

It is in a powder, however the powder is not water soluble. You need to sequester it with ethyl alcohol. Everclear works best, but regular 80 proof grain vodka works just fine. You really only need about .75 cc of vodka for each 1/4 teaspoon of prazi. The goal is to mix it into a paste like substance as too much "free" vodka can trigger a bacterial bloom. Especially considering it is almost always used in a newer Qt setup without a protein skimmer. It begins to decay at around 72 hours so the ideal dosing regimen is every three days, 1/4 tsp for 20-40 gallons. I have successfully used about 3x this concentration for short term baths, as the prazi itself is very safe and completely non toxic. The only type of fish I've encountered with sensitivity to the increased dosage are Wrasses. They will become lethargic and look to be dead but with adequate removal of the prazi via protein skimming 99 times out of 100 they recover just fine.

Hope that helps

BTW i can measure out doses in teaspoons. My gramscale fell into a tank lol. Tom is kind enough to be coming by the store tomorrow morning as I cant make it to the meeting. But if you are going I can certainly sell you some. Just LMK

Sean

it is also widley used for koi in the erradication of flukes, it is very safe but as sean mentioned it takes some effort to get it into solution. We carry it as well but already prepackaged, in 10, 50 & 100 gram qty

For koi use it is used at a rate of 10g / 1000 gallons and must remain in full strength, no skimming or UV carbon, ozone, etc for 7 days

Edited by johnnybv

Question.

Regarding the OP's link to another WAMAS thread regarding the use of PraziPro and Cupramine together and fish dying. Is the issue really Prazi Pro? From a lot of the research I have found is that when you separate the use of Prazi Pro and Cupramine (or other copper), your fish will be fine. For example, in your QT/HT, you treat a new fish w/ PraziPro for 1 or 2 weeks, then observe for an additional couple of weeks. If no sign of ICH, do wc and match DT params and then transfer. If there are signs of ICH, do a couple of 50% WC's to get most of the PraziPro out, then run carbon for a few days. Afterwards, take the carbon out and then start cooper treatment.

Is there anything wrong w/ this course of action? Or is there something truly wrong w/ Prazipro when used properly?

theres nothing wrong with prazipro. However most flukes and even trematodes have developed a resistance to the chemical requiring more prolonged exposure to it or stronger concentration. The latter is fatal to fish when using prazi pro. I believe it is the sequestering agent that they use in the medicine that causes the harm as ive used up to 3x the normal dose of pure praziwhen treating stubborn infections. The advantage to using pure prazi powder mixed with grain alcohol is that if the fish develops say amyloodinium (velvet) then copper sulfate pentahydrate can be added with no problems.\

Ok, newbie here had to google "flukes" as I thought it was the other meaning.

So you're saying that you can use pure prazi AND copper together w/ no issues? Both at recommended dosages effectively shortening any treatment compared to if you were to use prazi pro and copper separately, one after another?

Thanks.