Swimmatte's First Saltwater Tank

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have some really nice looking corals! Makes me miss having zoas :)

Thanks man! I love me some zoas. The only thing I dislike is the fact that if you want the collector stuff, you end up paying a fortune for a single polyp. I guess it makes up for it though when you turn your single $100 polyp into 10 and sell 9 of them for $100 each on R2R......then repeat.

I really like your tank! Which dslr did you get?

Thanks man, it's still very much a work in progress. I picked up a barely used Canon Rebel EOS XSi for $225.

Thanks man! I love me some zoas. The only thing I dislike is the fact that if you want the collector stuff, you end up paying a fortune for a single polyp. I guess it makes up for it though when you turn your single $100 polyp into 10 and sell 9 of them for $100 each on R2R......then repeat.

Or you consider fragging them and trading with others and break the cycle. I see it looks like you already have some rastas, but we should both be ready to try and cultivate at about the same time in a couple of months. I'm trying to place mine in spots that I can frag some polyps easily when the time comes.

Or you consider fragging them and trading with others and break the cycle. I see it looks like you already have some rastas, but we should both be ready to try and cultivate at about the same time in a couple of months. I'm trying to place mine in spots that I can frag some polyps easily when the time comes.

Surprisingly, I need some Rastas.

No longer need Rastas..... I'm heading up to the New Jersey Reefers Club Frag Swap in Edison, NJ and I found a guy selling zoas at crazy cheap prices..... Already placed my pre-order.

No longer need Rastas..... I'm heading up to the New Jersey Reefers Club Frag Swap in Edison, NJ and I found a guy selling zoas at crazy cheap prices..... Already placed my pre-order.

lol cheaper to pay shipping than gas?

You're just living the dream, bud. I think you got yours filled up quicker than mine! I'm holding out for all these frag swaps and sales and grand openings coming up.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time..........

So I went and paid Richard at ERC a visit and picked up some super sick stuff.  I added:

• (2) More Rainbow Acan Frags
  • (1) Black and White Ocellaris Clown
  • (1) Blue Linckia Starfish
  • (1) Rainbow Wellso
  • (1) Rainbow Fungia

Also, since last update I added some sweet zoas from the New jersey Reefers Club Summer Frag Swap in Edison, NJ.  I got:

• Mindblowing Palys
  • Rastas
  • Red Hornets
  • Tubbs Blues

Here are the Rastas:

9103408885_25f74b93a0_b.jpg

Here are the Red Hornets:

9105637948_7a078d0e8f_b.jpg

Mindblowing Palys

9103411067_c5c2dfe86c_b.jpg

Less blue on the Mindblowing:

9103411665_62584dfcd2_b.jpg

It's so hard to capture the true color of Rainbow Fungias..... but here's that bad boy:

9105646014_31f3f60bb7_b.jpg

Nice pic of my Coral Beauty:

9105641700_e4bb918d35_b.jpg

This guy is IMPOSSIBLE to take a picture of......

9105644490_3df5be6814_b.jpg

And my new favorite piece:

9105647668_6dc9cb469b_b.jpg

9103418687_faa10e31c1_b.jpg

i need FTS...you have one of the best new tanks on here for sure...your patience has paid off amazingly....you had a plan and stuck to it.....good for you

I love ERC...Richard hand selects those corals every single week and its hard to beat that....the pieces are insane....now I need to go take a drive....hmmmmm....

i need FTS...you have one of the best new tanks on here for sure...your patience has paid off amazingly....you had a plan and stuck to it.....good for you

I love ERC...Richard hand selects those corals every single week and its hard to beat that....the pieces are insane....now I need to go take a drive....hmmmmm....

Thanks! I've been trying to take a new FTS but it's so hard with my lights.  Once I figure out the settings on my camera I'll get a new one up.

I honestly don't feel the need to bother looking for coral elsewhere as long as Richard keeps producing this sick stuff.

where did you get your live rock from?

All rock was purchased from 3 different WAMAS members. My favorite piece, the corner rock that holds my zoas was purchased from Yauger but originally came from Marco Rock.

• 2 weeks later...

So...... recently I have been noticing my display tank hanging out with a lady friend.  I warned him of the dangers of moving into things too quickly, but I was ignored.  So I came downstairs tonight and this is what I found:

9189839436_86f2a3918f_c.jpg

It seems he knocked his lady friend up and was left to take care of it himself....... What have I gotten myself into?  :cool:

matt's got jokes, watch out now haha. you're going to have that thing filled in less than two months with all the awesome corals from ERC, i know it. just wait...

frag tank?

No, that's my Tang tank..... I'm thinking about trying to fit one of each tang species in there.

Just Kidding.

Yeah, that's going to be my frag tank. I don't want it to be a boring regular frag tank though. I'm thinking about making it similar to Neto's shallow tank, except that I'm going to keep it bare bottom. Maybe a little rock work over by the overflow?

No, that's my Tang tank..... I'm thinking about trying to fit one of each tang species in there.

Just Kidding.

Yeah, that's going to be my frag tank. I don't want it to be a boring regular frag tank though. I'm thinking about making it similar to Neto's shallow tank, except that I'm going to keep it bare bottom. Maybe a little rock work over by the overflow?

bare bottom is nice. takes less than 5 minutes to vacuum the bottom of the tank so i can spend more time vacuuming the rock areas during water changes. are you going to silicone starboard to the bottom of the tank?

bare bottom is nice. takes less than 5 minutes to vacuum the bottom of the tank so i can spend more time vacuuming the rock areas during water changes. are you going to silicone starboard to the bottom of the tank?

I hadn't thought about it but now you've got me interested. I'm going to look into that now but I think I'd want to keep the bottom black for maximum contrast. Question, could I just buy a black plastic cutting board from a store that sells kitchen supplies?

Frag tank is plumbed, filled, and up and running.  I added a decent sized piece of flat shelf rock in the tank and about 15 pounds of rock into the sump that I had lying around, along with a few pieces that I grabbed from Richard at ERC.  I gave the rock a nice acid bath and rinsed it off real well then soaked in some RODI for a bit. I had a HOB filter running on my display the past few months which I was running GFO/Carbon in so I switched that over to the frag tank to seed the rock.  Ordered an AquaticLife 115 skimmer last night and a new heater which should be in by the end of the week.  Also should be getting my new d120 in a couple weeks.  By the time the light comes in, the tank should be stable and ready to be stocked!