I am a genius. G E N I U S

BMW1600

Just got back from a week+ in Jamaica.

A week and a half ago I frantically ordered/assembled an ATO with my RKL. Cleaned everything up, checked water, etc etc.

Just before I left I unplugged my skimmer because I ran out of time to build an overflow for it.

Upon my return last night (10 days later) I arrived to hear my RKL alarm. I ran over to the tank. Water temp was 70.0. I figured my heater died from overcycling or something. NOPE. I keep my heater in the return chamber of my BakPak skimmer. So, no skimmer = no heated water the entire time.

Just about everything seems to have survived, although it's not very happy. Worst damage was to a pretty birdsnest. I think all my critters made it.

I feel really, really stupid!

Dave

You should feel very very lucky not stupid :)

You had vacation brain...it happens and next vacation you won't do that again lol...it will be something else...it ALWAYS is ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

A very close call! I make sure that I make no changes to the tank for two weeks before I leave for vacation. That way I can make sure everything is working properly. Was no one watching the tank for you for ten days?

People give me crap about having a heater in the main tank. But I know that I would do something like that so I just deal with it. Glad to hear that everything survived.

A very close call! I make sure that I make no changes to the tank for two weeks before I leave for vacation. That way I can make sure everything is working properly. Was no one watching the tank for you for ten days?

No one was watching my tank because I had it all set up correctly to be left alone :rolleyes:

ahahah

You have your heater in the return chamber? Any issues w/ the heater being so close to the acrylic? I have a bak pak too..was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure about the strength of the acrylic.

I know this is not the subject of your thread, you can PM me if you'd like.

You have your heater in the return chamber? Any issues w/ the heater being so close to the acrylic? I have a bak pak too..was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure about the strength of the acrylic.

Been running it like that for a year. Its just been set in there, not mounted, and the heater is just long enough where the rubber top leans against the top of the return chamber, so I guess the only "contact" is slight, at the bottom of the heater. I think the real "heating action" occurs higher up. Anyway, no problems!

A heater in direct contact with acrylic underwater will produce ZERO issues or worries.

Further testament....customer of mine with a fire in direct proximity to his tank (much much hotter than in tank heater)...the tank never ruptured from the heat (or repeated blows by the fire department sledge)...it began to bubble due to the extreme heat in this case, but still held solid.

I am not as strict as Coral Hind: but I have a strict 5 day no touchee policy before leaving on trips. Also: doesn't the RKL monitor and alarm via internet? (I would go crazy not being able to check pH/temp/ORP/Ca rx PH etc remotely whenever I want when away and also know that a parameter out of range prompts an e-mail and text)

Been running it like that for a year. Its just been set in there, not mounted, and the heater is just long enough where the rubber top leans against the top of the return chamber, so I guess the only "contact" is slight, at the bottom of the heater. I think the real "heating action" occurs higher up. Anyway, no problems!

A heater in direct contact with acrylic underwater will produce ZERO issues or worries.

Further testament....customer of mine with a fire in direct proximity to his tank (much much hotter than in tank heater)...the tank never ruptured from the heat (or repeated blows by the fire department sledge)...it began to bubble due to the extreme heat in this case, but still held solid.

Great to hear! I was only questioning this because the acrylic on HOB skimmers are probably (haven't actually measured but it seems logical) thinner than one's used on tanks.

I will pull one thing out of my DT. Yeah!

Thanks.

I am not as strict as Coral Hind: but I have a strict 5 day no touchee policy before leaving on trips. Also: doesn't the RKL monitor and alarm via internet? (I would go crazy not being able to check pH/temp/ORP/Ca rx PH etc remotely whenever I want when away and also know that a parameter out of range prompts an e-mail and text)

You can monitor if you have the NET module, which I do not yet have. I started out with the basic RKL package.

I also run two water heaters in my acrylic sump, no problem, leaning the same way.

I often leave my tank by itself whenever I travel, I just put a huge container full of fresh water (connected to my ATO) and an automatic feeder with dry food. My rule of thumb before I travel is that you cannot make any major changes to your system because you leave but then I dont have a skimmer jeje.