If it isn't one thing it's a flippin other

Jan

4 fish in 10 minutes is pretty good :) . I didn't feed by fish for 2 days so they are good and hungry. I'm placing food in feed tube that came with the trap.

Once caught I'm placing them in a FW and meth blue dip for 3-5 mins and then into a hypo QT. Moving right along....

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear you were able to pinpoint the issue - be careful of the ich, though. It can essentially go dormant when your fish population doesn't change for a period of time but adding a new fish can "reawaken" the ich and the existing fish will lose the "immunity" that they had built up.

(edited)

Thanks, Dave. We discussed this same thing at the vet visit. This why Dr. recommended treating all fish with FW dip, hyposalinity and low temp. Then go fallow in DT. I'll need to go fallow more than 14 days, I know.

Oh, and the ich was found in the water not on the fish.

Glad to hear you were able to pinpoint the issue - be careful of the ich, though. It can essentially go dormant when your fish population doesn't change for a period of time but adding a new fish can "reawaken" the ich and the existing fish will lose the "immunity" that they had built up.

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

(edited)

8 fish in hyposalinity QT so far. That's it for today! This will take a few days..... Oh and the angelfishs face isn't red and raw looking anymore. She's healing. The first ulceration is almost all healed. I'm hoping the combo of FW dip and hypo killed the trophants. Now I need to watch for bacterial infection. Ready for that too.

Sorry to hear your trouble, sounds like you have it under control. I hope this has a happy ending!!!!!!

Me too. If it wasn't for you I would not have had the testing done. Thank you so very much!

J

I am very glad you were able to pinpoint the problem :)

All my expensive fish are in QT except for the mated pair of mandarins. they are going to be difficult.

MY purple tang started to show signs of discoloration in the same area as the GW, below its mouth. I was able to catch it today. Yay!!! Dipped it and it is in QT. Another 9 or so to go.... moving right along.... :gho:

(edited)

Interesting for fish farmers. This is one of the reasons I do not purchase farmed fish and I always soak all my ingredients in FW and then freeze for at least 5 days before using it. The thought of using something dipped in formalin or treated with antibiotics is always a big concern along with large pathogen load from being in an enclosed system.

I'm sticking with the vets recommendation of hyposalinity and low temp. I think she knows best. It's natural and appears to be working very well. These parasites are very easily killed in FW dips and hyposalinity environments. Thanks!

Just to clarify, the fish have trichodina, not trichonida.

Here is an article on them. It seems a QT with formalin would kill them. Probably a better choice than hypo.

It keeps going. Had a little ammonia spike today in one of the QT's. No biggy. I just had to do a large water change and add Amquel. I still have about 10 fish to catch. I have 13 fish in QT so far. My concern are the mandarins. Once I catch them what will they eat?

The GW is almost completely healed. She's doing great and eating very well. The GM that I suspect brought disease into my DT has some funky something on a scar on its side where it had the worst case of lymphosis I've ever seen. I'll need to take that fish out and take a closer look at that.

(edited)

Good point. I'll see what I can find on that. I'm certain QT will be hard on them especially since these only eat pods.

I just caught one lemon chromis and my cleaner wrasse. Oops, 14-16 more fishies to go: 3 neon gobies, 1 watchman goby, 1 engineer goby, 1 midus blenny, 2 clownfish, 1 clown goby, 2 anthias, 2 lemon chromis, 1 sixline wrasse and maybe 2 mandarins

plus i thought QT was extremely hard them due to lack of food etc

Good luck! I still can't catch my Midas Benny! I was not going to QT my mandarin as I feel he wouldn't make it due to food issues

(edited)

....and a parrrtridge in a pearrrr treeeee....

Mandarins and eels are much less susceptible to diseases that can land and penetrate scales...but they can still get them in certain cases....and god only knows if they can transport the problem around if it doesn't need a live host....

I say call and ask the vet...and put then in a 5g by themselves with a bottle of pods ever few days :(

It's a myth that they can't catch the diseases as Kim mentioned, they just tend to have a little more resistance to certain parasites that infest the skin/scales of fish but it certainly doesn't mean they can't get them.

no I know they can catch diseases...but their slime does make them resistant to some things....I don't know anything about what she is battling and was hoping maybe it was one of the resistant items.

(edited)

Ok. I made a mistake. Don't know where I got the name "trichodina" from. It may have been from my reading Noga's book, but Dr. Torres confirmed that what she saw was a fungal trophont, most likely Ich. She also agrees that with the severity of lymphosis my fish exhibited that they most likely introduced something else into my DT. Another thing she mentioned was that copper will supress the fishes immune system and may even precipitate a vibrio outbreak.

I knew that treating fish prophylactically with copper was not good for them. It's too strong. I did not know the details. So what I understand now is that if we treat an already weakend fish that is stressed from transpot and harboring some disease with copper we may actually make things worse and cause an outbreak of whatever the fish may be harboring or has been exposed to. We are weakening their immune system.

Bob Fenner talks about this too on wetwemmedia when he explains how to do a FW dip with Methylene blue, which he recommends we do for all new fish along with Qt and observation before it is introduced into our DT's. Read here - http://www.wetwebmed.../dips_baths.htm

I really really like this Doctor. She knows her stuff. She has a passion for this hobby and it shows. I suggest that if anyone is dealing with sick fish or issues with fish dying or other issues that you see Dr. Torres for testing, diagnosis and treatment. Call and ask her what she will need from you to diagnose the problem. It will save a lot of money, frustration and heartache in the long run.

J

Ich didn't cause the ulcer. Something else was introduced.

I am surprised that ich would cause the ulcer before you saw classic signs of ich.