Petland

Huly

I am not sure if it is just me or not but we visited Petland today as they have copepods instock. While their aquarium staff and area is nice, I have issues. We did get a few pieces of rock we needed and the copepods but I will not be back as they sell PUPPY MILL PUPPIES.

When I walked in I thought that might be the situation and their cages are too small, grate flooring which is awful for paws. I did not see a single bed or anything soft for pups to lay on. No toys no bones etc.

Yes I kept my mouth shut but when I got home I confirmed my thoughts. The HSUS started investigating them in 2008. In 2010 Animal Planet did a show their investigation of where they get their pups and the puppy mills they come from. On 12-24-12 a consumer wrote that they were told these pups are not puppy mills but on the paperwork the pup came from Hunte Corporation one of the largest puppy mills in the US.

I am sick thinking of the money we spent today on the supplies we bought and I should have trusted my gut. This mistake will NOT happen again. I will drive 100 miles for copepods instead of this 20. I thought everyone should know where if you are like me you will not experience what I now feel. I am the Director of Adoptions for a rescue and this sickens me and breaks my heart.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should this rant be on here as a reef aquarium comment? No offense but seems like you have only good things to say about the fish coral and supply. The puppies is kindof out of place on this forum.

I don't see a problem with it being here. She stated that she liked the fish dept but not the dog part. The dogs are still part of the store.

If the same thing was going in at F&F I would hope people would say the same thing. (I know F&F are not puppy mill animals)

Ok I'm going to throw something out there that's way overboard and has none to do with petland.

Say a store is beating and not feeding their dogs. And has completely unsatisfactory conditions for their dogs and cats. But has a decent fish department.

Would you not want to know that?

Technically, we all keep our fish pets in small cages. If the cages were unclean and the puppies didn't have food or water, then fuss.

Ok I'm going to throw something out there that's way overboard and has none to do with petland.

Say a store is beating and not feeding their dogs. And has completely unsatisfactory conditions for their dogs and cats. But has a decent fish department.

Would you not want to know that?

I know you have people chained up in your basement but I haven't reported it yet... ;)

Even still. Petland doesnt mistreat their dogs and the cages are aways clean. So I really don't see your point.

The issue when people talk about puppy mills isn't about how the animals are treated at the final retail store, it's about how the puppies and mothers are treated at the "mill". A responsible breeder selectively breeds to bring out the best traits of the breed and is usually concerned about the well being of the mother and her litter. Puppy mills will breed any dog in heat (sometimes repeatedly until the mother drops dead), remove the litter from the mother before they are properly weaned, and due to the scale of the operation, often house the animals in substandard conditions.

Obviously I don't know this first hand, but I am just recalling things that have been reported in documentaries and the like.

I think it's perfectly appropriate that people are aware of allegations that are floating around out there so they can do their own research and decide where they want to spend their money.

We don't. I guess there's a chance that this store gets good pups, but we don't know either way.

I don't think it's wrong that the history of the parent company is brought up as part of the review. But I don't know if all the Petlands out there are run the same way and if all of them use mills.

So basically I can start any thread here spouting basically anything I want not matter if it is true? This isn't Washington post.

If you don't have hard proof I would suggest not saying anything. Or isn't that what slander is defined as?

If you spend money in a store you are supporting everything that store does and stands for. That is why I posted it here as I can not support a store that does this. Plus say a member here wants a pup and sees they are a vendor here so they must sell great puppies too they will be misinformed.

I look at a store as a whole and as a reef person and an animal rights advocate I can not support this. The aquarium is not a separate entity they are all entwined. Fish profits don't go to just new fish.

Will post research tomorrow as I am posting from my phone.

So basically I can start any thread here spouting basically anything I want not matter if it is true? This isn't Washington post.

If you don't have hard proof I would suggest not saying anything. Or isn't that what slander is defined as?

Looks like he stated his opinion and did some research on Petland. I would say it is fair to post that. If you buy fish supplies or livestock you would then be helping to fund the company. I would choose to shop somewhere else if it was against my principles.

I didn't say that.

I also asked for links to backup the accusations. I think the accusations may be true about the parent company, but I personally have no clue about it. And specifically not about this individual store. Again, it's why I asked for some links for backup information so that I could make my own informed decision.

I don't wanna jump on the puppy bandwagon so I'm staying out of that discussion. But, I visited this store today for the first time and from a reef stand point it was absolutely incredible. Friendly staff even though they were extreme busy, unbelievable selection of coral , a little pricey but you definitely get what you pay for. Was willing to frag anything I wanted. Some extremely rare sought after stuff. I don't know anything about the puppy mill thing but I will say all the puppies looked very happy, active, and healthy. But where they come from I have no clue. And, I wanna add without naming so don't ask, I also visited 2 other sponsors today one of which was also very nice as I've been there twice. The other was a first visit for me and this sponsor is regurlarly praised on here. My experience was I was in the store for about fifteen minutes. No one ever acknowledged I was even there, never asked if I needed help, never said a word to me, so I left empty handed. Not to add fuel but I spent 300 bucks today at the other 2 sponsors on stuff I really didn't even need. So with that said if your in a customer service business make sure customer service is tour number one priority. I know I do in my business. Just some food for thought.