Regular Clorox Bleach... Now Concentrated? Still safe for bleaching out rocks?

Curtis Scott

I purchased some bleach yesterday to bleach out some reef rocks that were covered in algae and organic material.

They have so many different kinds of bleach now. I looked for just simple regular bleach because I read some where to not use the splash-less kind. The closest I got was this:

1001029_044600307695_A_400.jpg

Is this still safe to use for this process? It looks like it's just a concentrated form of the regular bleach, but I still thought I'd get a second opinion before I use it.

Also, below is my process. Is it overkill and could there be any adjustments made?

I've done this in the past and usually do the following:

1. Soak rocks in 15g of RODI water with 1/2 gallon of bleach with 3 power heads for min of 4 days
  2. Remove rocks replace bleach water with fresh RODI water add 3 x dose of prime, keep power heads going another 4 days
  3. Replace water with fresh RODI water add normal dose of prime, keep power heads going min of 4 days
  4. Remove rocks from the water and allow them to air dry in front of my fireplace or out in the sun for 4 days
  5. Place rocks back in container with fresh made saltwater with normal dose of prime, powerheads, heater, and skimmer for 10 days + depending on how much the skimmer is pulling out of the water.

I look forward to some feedback and advice. Thanks!

Easier solution-

1) Place all rock in the sun. Leave it there for a while.

2) When you're ready to use it again, rinse it with the garden hose sprayer till most of the spiders, leaves, and dirt are gone.

3) Throw in tank.

Why add bleach and rodi water? why not just plain water? seems like lots of precautions to take when using bleach- poisonous to life, bleaches things, you have to use extra chemicals to remove it from the rock. Way too much work and process with little payoff.

We have nearly 1000# of rock behind the shop that is on racks. Some of it has been used up to 20 years ago and the sun has really fried it well. When we need some, we just spray it off with the hose and throw in the tank. We've never had any nuisance algaes or diseases come out of the rock using this method.

Easier solution-

1) Place all rock in the sun. Leave it there for a while.

2) When you're ready to use it again, rinse it with the garden hose sprayer till most of the spiders, leaves, and dirt are gone.

3) Throw in tank.

Why add bleach and rodi water? why not just plain water? seems like lots of precautions to take when using bleach- poisonous to life, bleaches things, you have to use extra chemicals to remove it from the rock. Way too much work and process with little payoff.

We have nearly 1000# of rock behind the shop that is on racks. Some of it has been used up to 20 years ago and the sun has really fried it well. When we need some, we just spray it off with the hose and throw in the tank. We've never had any nuisance algaes or diseases come out of the rock using this method.

+1

Sun bath the LR is the safest and best!

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Resurrecting this. I'm regenerating some Purigen with concentrated Clorox instead of the regular Clorox I used to use. From this page: http://www.clorox.co...lar-bleach/ it looks like all it has in it to make it "thicker" feeling is sodium polyacrylate. The other stuff sounds fine for fish water. They don't list fragrance as an ingredient, even though I thought I smelled a little of it. Wikipedia makes the polyacrylate sound like it would be harmless for the fish http://en.wikipedia....um_polyacrylate

What do folks here think?

Edited by AlanM

I am not sure as I use "Regular" Clorox for all of that. I did once kill all my fish by using Fresh Scent Clorox

The new concentrated stuff worked fine for what I was using it for. I would just make sure to use some prime on the purigen afterwards and you should be good to go.

paul b, I don't think "regular" exists anymore, so good luck if you go to buy it.

Thanks, Curtis. I do use a bunch of Prime afterwards to soak it for a day and it seems to work ok.