Aquascaping help

YHSublime

So I started shaping my rock up the way I'd like it in the tank... and I'm in love with what I've made. It's precariously put together on a carpet and trash bags in front of my tank... can someone direct me in what I can use to hold it together that's tank safe?

I was aquascaping today also. Although I chose to use gravity alone to hold my rocks, I have been recommended the following for holding rocks:

JB Water Weld (from HD or Lowes)

Aquascape Epoxy

Gorilla Glue (not wet and cured before adding water)

Non glue or epoxy ways...include drilling holes and using plastic dowels or pvs pipes.....

Edited by howaboutme

Thanks for the quick answers all. I have coral epoxy, so I'll just use that.

I was aquascaping today also. Although I chose to use gravity alone to hold my rocks, I have been recommended the following for holding rocks:

JB Water Weld (from HD or Lowes)

Aquascape Epoxy

Gorilla Glue (not wet and cured before adding water)

Non glue or epoxy ways...include drilling holes and using plastic dowels or pvs pipes.....

I had my rocks just thrown in to get my cycle moving, in no particular fashion. I witnessed a rock get blown over when I turned my return pump on while working on my sump. A medium sized rock at that. I'm going to say "no thanks" to gravity, less chance of a cracked tank and 60 gallons of saltwater on my carpeted floor.

Also the rock is "live." I don't know how long it stays that way out of water, but I'd like to get it back in the tank!

I was aquascaping today also. Although I chose to use gravity alone to hold my rocks.

Jedi stack, always the best if you get tired of the scape, use the force.thumb_smiley-vault-star-wars-018.gif

I witnessed a rock get blown over when I turned my return pump on while working on my sump. A medium sized rock at that. I'm going to say "no thanks" to gravity, less chance of a cracked tank and 60 gallons of saltwater on my carpeted floor.

Yeah, you definitely have to be careful and have the right kind of shaped rocks to do it w/ just gravity. Plenty do it just like that and have been successful. I'm thinking this is easier in case I want to move the rocks (I know epoxy can be undone) for re-aquascaping, cleaning, catching fish, etc.....For just a 29G, the lesser of 2 evils.

Marco Rocks puts out a solution that you can use to make structures. I've tried everything listed above, including the force, and the Marco Rocks stuff is the best. However, it does need to dry for 24 hours, but it's textured and holds great.

Thanks for the quick answers all. I have coral epoxy, so I'll just use that.

I had my rocks just thrown in to get my cycle moving, in no particular fashion. I witnessed a rock get blown over when I turned my return pump on while working on my sump. A medium sized rock at that. I'm going to say "no thanks" to gravity, less chance of a cracked tank and 60 gallons of saltwater on my carpeted floor.

If you decide not to use epoxy, the stack must be secure. If it wiggles at all, it is not secure.

If you decide not to use epoxy, the stack must be secure. If it wiggles at all, it is not secure.

I'm using epoxy. I'm 100% positive that I like it how I've got it. If I need to change it I'll break it apart with a hammer and chisel, or whatever I have to do. Although, I think I have a little bit to much rock for my tank. Stupid large overflow box. Wouldn't have this problem with a cube, haha.

Must train more.

"a Jedi's strength flows from the Force,

a Jedi's strength flows from the Force,

a Jedi's strength flows from the Force.

-Me, aquascaping

Also the rock is "live." I don't know how long it stays that way out of water, but I'd like to get it back in the tank!

I would get it back in the water ASAP the die off from leaving your rock out is going to mess your water up if its already cycled lots of water changes.

Some, if not all, of the epoxy listed is good for glueing wet so keep your rocks in the water except for when securing...

I never had good luck with the JB water weld wet. It worked great if it could dry before getting it wet.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Marco Rocks puts out a solution that you can use to make structures. I've tried everything listed above, including the force, and the Marco Rocks stuff is the best. However, it does need to dry for 24 hours, but it's textured and holds great.

can it cure in the tank water?

DSC_0325_zpsd1269c12.jpg

DSC_0321_zpsb91c7b69.jpg

Up late and having fun, huh? :)

And yeah, these designs definitely need to be glued together...A few of these, I barely see a 1/4" of rock touching the other...The force wouldn't work there.

I have some e-Marco 400 mortar left over from my build if you want it.

That would be very cool of you.