jimlin's new tank build

jimlin

tank 1: 24 gallon jbj cube (topless) with reef octopus nwb 110 4" skimmer, 20 gallon sump, bio pellets, purigen.

tank 2: 24 gallon aquapod. plan on purchasing intank media basket and putting in floss, purigen. if that dont work then a diy protein skimmer since i need the hood to stay with the tank.

both tanks will sit on top of a diy stand.

this will be the first time im using any kind of algae scrubber on my systems, but i decided to go with it due to my over feeding habbits and the inability to keep the algae in check by using small amounts of two little fishies gfo and chaeto. i am hoping this thing will work better than the chaeto, but we will find out.

I looked into baskets for my bio, but with just the lps in the tank, I've been good with rubble rock and filter floss. What are you planning on fitting in there?

. i want it because i want all the water going through the overflow to go through the filter floss and this box allows me to do that. the diy shelf, the water just goes over the top shelf and thats it. this box will have water go through all the slelves. i planned to put in filter floss, purigen and maybe biopellets. still,have to do research on biopellet in that media rack. for your systen, if you already have the water going through a filter floss, you probably dont need it.

the hog algae scrubber will go in the back of the aquapod as well so we will see how things go.

Very cool concept in the nano, I will be following along. I have been reading this thread at RC and I'm interested to see how it will go on a smaller scale.

after reading on the upflow algae scrubber, it is the way to go. you can even build a chamber in your sump to do this. all it needs is good lights, screen and bubble pump. i was going to build one in the sump, but decided to purchase one instead due to the low price tag.

after reading on the upflow algae scrubber, it is the way to go. you can even build a chamber in your sump to do this. all it needs is good lights, screen and bubble pump. i was going to build one in the sump, but decided to purchase one instead due to the low price tag.
i wonder if salt creep becomes and issue since air pump

i was wondering the same thing. you can put the unit higher towards the top to decrease bubbles to the top, but that also decreases flow going through the unit.

A scrubber is an alternate method (to a protein skimmer) of cleansing water. Basically, it will do everything that a skimmer will do, in terms of nutrient export, but doesn't respond as quickly and encourages system health in other ways (increased copepod population and time for food to find a mouth).

Jim, cool! Looking forward to seeing it!

A scrubber is an alternate method (to a protein skimmer) of cleansing water. Basically, it will do everything that a skimmer will do, in terms of nutrient export, but doesn't respond as quickly and encourages system health in other ways (increased copepod population and time for food to find a mouth).

Your soooooooo smart. :tongue:

Hey I will be coming your way via the USNS Comfort. They are changing homeport to Norfolk

• 2 weeks later...

checked out the petland here and fell in love with the lemon peel angel. I am considering this list of fishes for my tanks.

fish list:

tank 1 (24 gallon jbj): lemon peel angel, 4 blue chromis

tank 2 (24 gallon aquapod) 2 clowns, yellow wrasse

any thoughts?

how would you ever have a happy lemonpeel, even as a dwarf angel, in a 24g tank? i think they are beautiful but definitely would need more space than a 24g can offer, sir. the tank 2 idea sounds pretty good though. any particular wrasse in mind?

oh darn, just looked into the yellow wrasse and it requires 50 gallon.

the guy at the store said it will be ok, guess i have to do more research. was going to try something different, but the size of my tank wont allow it.

tank 1 (24 gallon jbj): coral beauty angel, 4 blue chromis

tank 2 (24 gallon aquapod) 2 clowns, 6 line wrasse

will this work?

• 5 weeks later...

this sucks.

both my 24 gallon cubes cracked during the shipment.

the 20 gallon sump shattered.

only tank that survived is the 75 gallon.

looks like i have to start from scratch again.

did i mention i hate moving?

I'm with you there, I have learned to never get rid of original boxes for breakable stuff after we moved the first 2 times,,,, 7 more moves later...a lot less breakage, though I don't know if your could have been avoided...moving to HI your stuff got touched by 4 different movers...ugh

I'm sorry to hear, Jim. Was the shipment insured?