test kits

sachabballi reef

its time to buy new test kits for alk and calcium. I have been using salifert for years but wonder if there are better ones I should check out....

anyone have any recommendations? Also anyone locally sell them? I am used to buying them all online because I am inherently lazy but have decided that this year I will only go online for items I can't buy locally....

Salifert here, Fins and Feathers, Quantum reefs, have them as well.

Edited by surf&turf

thanks guys...I think I will go up to FNF since its so close to me...I need to get with Sean for sand anyhow....

glad to know I can stick with what I know and I am not missing the boat on something better...always makes things easier lol

actually I haven't yet (see post where I call myself lazy :blush: )

so I am happy to keep hearing the other opinions....thanks for posting!

Edited by sachabballi reef

I own the Hanna meter for Alk and calcium but never use them: PIA and not very reproducible IME. I have gone back to Salifert for both and couldn't be happier. A reefing buddy uses Red Seas for Alk/Ca (they have a reefing package that includes Mg as well) and loves it. I suspect it is just as good as their test for

phophate and nitratre (both more sensitive for lower range) are my go-to (I also have Hanna meters for low range phosphate and phosphorous gathering dust).

that is interesting that you have the hanna meters but dont like them...I was looking at them as well because I actually really love my low range phosphate one...are they similar? I think I will stick with the salifert....thanks everyone for the input!! I really appreciate it....on a side note Steve do you have any pics of your set up? It sounds so amazing!!....wondering how to talk my husband into letting me have a 220 frag tank LOL

I have and use both my Hanna Alk and ultra low phosphate. Both do well and are consistent for me. I even made an alkalinity standard a couple of years ago and the measurement was spot on and repeatable. I've heard others have had issues and wonder why. Possibly a problem with the reagent or measurement process? Not sure. People routinely recommend Salifert but seem to forget that they too had a bad lot of kits get out a few years ago. Bottom line for me is, when in doubt, cross check results against another kit or a known standard. This includes not only test kits, but also refractometers and thermometers as well.

(Sent from my phone)

I have and use both my Hanna Alk and ultra low phosphate. Both do well and are consistent for me. I even made an alkalinity standard a couple of years ago and the measurement was spot on and repeatable. I've heard others have had issues and wonder why. Possibly a problem with the reagent or measurement process? Not sure. People routinely recommend Salifert but seem to forget that they too had a bad lot of kits get out a few years ago. Bottom line for me is, when in doubt, cross check results against another kit or a known standard. This includes not only test kits, but also refractometers and thermometers as well.

(Sent from my phone)

This is why I keep the Hanna meters: if I get a random Salifert or Red Seas reading (rare), I repeat and confirm repeat with Hanna. Tom: I am not sure why I've had issues with reproducibility with the Hanna meters either. I have a biochemistry background/am pretty comfortable with chemical testing; have always been neurotic with cleaning and wiping the vials as well as rinsing with RO only. With any new test, I routinely do 3 tests in a row acutely, and have always found unacceptable (response relevant) variability w/ the Hanna meters.

This is why I keep the Hanna meters: if I get a random Salifert or Red Seas reading (rare), I repeat and confirm repeat with Hanna. Tom: I am not sure why I've had issues with reproducibility with the Hanna meters either. I have a biochemistry background/am pretty comfortable with chemical testing; have always been neurotic with cleaning and wiping the vials as well as rinsing with RO only. With any new test, I routinely do 3 tests in a row acutely, and have always found unacceptable (response relevant) variability w/ the Hanna meters.

I'm comfortable with your testing, Steve. I'm wondering if they've had a bad batch of or changed their reagent formulation or process. Both bottles of my reagents go back to about the same period. Thus, I probably don't have the luxury of a sample set widely spaced in time. By any chance do you routinely shake or stir the reagent bottle beforehand to ensure the components are well mixed? (I don't know, but if there's any separation in the components, a failure to mix could alter the ingredient proportions for successive tests.) Do you rinse the syringe well after using it? These devices are colorimeters, so they rely on the transmission of a certain band of light (provided by an LED) through the sample. That's compared to a calibration run and the ratio becomes an indicator of the carbonate alkalinity in the water. Some possible factors that could affect consistency (assuming test protocol remains consistent): Battery power (check terminals for corrosion?) problems that might modulate the LED output; poorly formed test vials (might produce different lensing effects or obscuration pattern with a different orientation); suspended calcium salts (solids) in the sample (might dissolve and produce false readings); suspended solids in the sample (obscuration). It would be interesting to get my hands on a fussy meter and reagents, and run it against my meter, reagents and alkalinity standard.

Even though I use the Hanna meter as my standard for alkalinity, I often do spot checks using a cheaper API kit. If done right, you can actually calibrate the cheap kit against the Hanna to get rather reliable and accurate readings.