ALGAE BE GONE!!!

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4

I was hoping nobody would ask that, but I guess I will tell you. After months of failure, I did something drastic. I dried out every piece of live rock, then I soaked it in RO water and scrubbed every square inch with a toothbrush. Then I put it back into the tank with 60 or so lbs of good live rock and a couple hundred lbs of live sand.

Guest clownfish4

Thanks, that brain is about 6" wide and 4"-5" tall and appears to have at least 5 mouths! I actually thought it died awhile ago, but it looks great now.

Guest clownfish4

Wow, we need to start an AA club, Algae Users Anonymous. "My name is Mike and I have been algae free for a week now." :lol:

Anyways, I have been rid of algae for a week now and am fairly confident so far, but we'll see what happens.

*crosses fingers for you*

I had been getting alot of algae up until about a month ago. But my culprit was my use of tap water. I have been adding only distilled water for top off (and used distilled for the one water change I've done since I've stopped using tap). Added a dozen scarlet hermit crabs, and I'm practically algae free. It had gotten to the point that 90% of the rocks were covered in inch thick hair algae.

Do you use ro/di or distilled water? Do you have hermits? Or a foxface?

Hey Flotilly,

I got your numbers but will call you before sawing.

You really want to use ro/di or di.

Look here as this one comes with the TDS meter and flow valve.

I like mine alot. I still bucket the waste water to our patio plants, my orchids and treat it for our pond.

Mike, you WILL SEE a golden brownish fuzzy algae form in 10-12 days to a couple weeks, don't start throwing stuff or dive bombing the house with a plane.

It looks GREAT and congratulations!

That will "burn" away. Do you use UV and/or ozone?

Mike,

Looks great!

Recipe for success:

Neon Blue Striped Hermits - Unbelieveable what a single one is doing for my 10g!

Margarita and Ceriths Snails for the glass and rock

A couple of Emerald Crabs

a few red-tipped leg crabs for good measure

UV Sterilizer

RO/DI water

Consistant parameters....With my crazy temperature swings, I've developed a small amount of Cyano in my tank. Hopefully after the today, that will be gone and I have everything back to normal.

If you have no plans today after 4pm, I'm going to be watching the Steelers and Patsies play today and will be working on my canopy, stand and sump if you want to stop in. Can give your cash as well.

Howard

Guest alex wlazlak

just to back that up, for the price it is more than a great deal. the ro/di unit work very flawless. be sure to buy an adaptor before hand...

OK, Anyone else is invited too, just let me know who is coming over and I'll get the chip, dips and drinks!

H-E-double hocky sticks, LET'S HAVE A PARTY!!! :D

My place at 5pm

2927 Rogers Drive

Falls Church VA 22042

Call me if your coming over, 703-899-6209 B)

Hey Howard. I am in on the party if you could pick me up from the metro. Is it possible? TIA

Chris

OK, Anyone else is invited too, just let me know who is coming over and I'll get the chip, dips and drinks!

H-E-double hocky sticks, LET'S HAVE A PARTY!!! :D

My place at 5pm

2927 Rogers Drive

Falls Church VA 22042

Call me if your coming over, 703-899-6209  B)

39779[/snapback]

See you at the Springfield Metro around 3pm

Howard

If you have no plans today after 4pm, I'm going to be watching the Steelers and Patsies play today and will be working on my canopy, stand and sump if you want to stop in. Can give you cash as well.

Howard

Howard,

How much cash are you giving for us to come over?

1 Million Dollars to everyone! .....actually, $1M in change from the $2M you give me :D

Guest clownfish4

Sorry Howard, I am getting over a bad cold and have a flight to Richmond at 6, but will call when I get back if its not too late. Or I may beable to swing by before my flight.

I of course use RO/DI, but I don't use a UV, have mixed opinions on them. I also will never put another crab in my tank unless I become desperate. Chip, I have already started to get some brown algae, mainly on the left side under my old xm bulb. Although something is definately eating it, I don't know what though. All that's in the tank is my yellow and hippo tang, fire and skunk shrimp, and whatever came with the sand/rock.

Mike,

Look into my eyes,

CRABS ARE YOUR FRIEND, CRABS ARE YOUR FRIENDS,

SNAILS ARE YOUR FRIEND, SNAILS ARE YOUR FRIENDS,

SEND MONEY,...oops... that didn't make it in print did it :rolleyes:

Guest clownfish4

Howard, read my eyes:

CRABS EAT SNAILS, CRABS EAT SNAILS

(and sometimes fish)

CRABS NOT FRIEND

Hey guys.. I do have a ro/di unit. its sitting here on my floor, still not yet connected. I was going to hook it to the faucet, but it didnt' come with a faucet adapter. so I went to home depot, they didn't have any. Then I tried a few plumbing stores, but they were either not open or didnt' have it either. So I ordered it online.

When it arrived, I discovered both my sink and the adapter had female ends. I've gone back to home depot and got an adapter, brought it home... to realize that it didn't come with an o ring and the one that was used with the previous tip wouldn't fit...

so thats where I'm at right now. But for the record, I haven't used tap water in my reef tank in over a month! I've been buying distilled water. I have a tds meter, tap water here is ~ 200, the distilled (says its steam distilled on the container) had a reading of 002.

:)

Soon, I will have my ro/di hooked up.

Folta,

I was using well water with a TDS of 60 and the only thing thriving in my tank was CYANO.... Took me a while to accept that the other members know more than I do and invested in a RO/DI... Best decision I ever made (other than joining WAMAS)!

Unni

• 1 month later...

Possibly new supplier for my Neon Blue Striped Hermits: 3 for $9.95

http://bluezooaquatics.com/livestock/produ...nfo.php?id=1685

Mike,

Look into my eyes,

CRABS ARE YOUR FRIEND, CRABS ARE YOUR FRIENDS,

SNAILS ARE YOUR FRIEND, SNAILS ARE YOUR FRIENDS,

SEND MONEY,...oops... that didn't make it in print did it  :rolleyes:

39799[/snapback]

I knew someone who had crabs once. They weren't happy at all.

They make a shampoo to get rid of them........I mean, I HEARD they make a shampoo to get rid of them! :unsure:

Folta-

Yes crabs eat snails and steal their shells.......but snails are cheap. And the hermits and snails really help with cleanup in the tank. Besides, it's in the natural order of things.......we eat cows; hermits eat snails.

Anyone else in the mood for a steak??