wireless controllers - router question

Sharkb8

Hi all. Thanks in advance for reading my question(s).

I have been away from the group for a little over four years. I sold everything and moved to California. I just moved back a few months ago. I'm setting up a 90g reef and am in the planning stages.

I would like to start my planning with getting a good controller. It would be great to be able to monitor my system (and hopefully control it) from the internet. We have Verizon FiOS and if you are familiar with that, you know it comes with their own router. Our router is on the second floor. My tanks are on the first floor. Wiring up the controller to my router is not going to happen unless I can do it by WiFi. The crux of my question is - does any company sell a wireless controller, i.e. one that can communicate with my router without physically attaching a cable from the router to the controller? If not, do any of the computer types out there know how I can accomplish this by using some kind-of wireless adapter (dongle?) device?

I have this same issue with my tv, too, but that is a different topic (i.e. my tv is in the basement, my router is upstairs, and my tv does not have built-in wireless capabilities - is there some dongle or other gizmo I can buy to allow my tv to talk with my router?).

For extra credit - I'm also considering getting one of those new Radion LED fixtures (or two). I love the functionality and ability to control them from the computer. Will I need two different programs then - one to program the Radions and another to talk to my Apex (or insert other brand name controller here) controller or can I control both from one interface?

I have been away from the hobby for about 5 years and it is really amazing how the technology has changed just in this short time.

Again, thanks for reading and I apologize if these questions have already been addressed elsewhere in the forums. If there are clues to the answers to these questions elsewhere, please feel free to point ignorant me to the proper threads.

Tom

You are looking for a "gaming adapter" that you can find at best buy or similar...

Basically you plug it into a USB on your computer to teach it your wireless router settings, then plug it into your controller, tv, camera system, whatever... and voila whatever you plug it into connects to your local network. (connecting to the internet is harder and requires changing some settings on your router... but this is the first step).

No idea on the radion question.

if you need to connect to your router, i'd recommend the following: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Actiontec---500-Mbps-Powerline-Home-Theater-Network-Adapter-Kit/5215483.p?id=1218625358741&skuId=5215483

works great and uses your existing powerline to send data... plug one end to your router and the other end into the location where your tank will be... and it's plug and play, no programming necessary. For the router, you'll need to access the admin page on the router and configure port forwarding... not to complex if you read the manual.

for your extra credit question, the short answer is yes, but i wouldn't waste a slot on the EB8 for the Radions... they have their own great wireless control and it would be a shame to not use it. Save a slot on the EB8 so your apex can control something else.

by the way, you can use the same ethernet over powerline to resolve the issues you mentioned with your TV and DVR

I've used powerline successfully as well. Another option is a Motorola NIM box. Basically it converts your coax signal to an Ethernet slot. I did that both for my apple tv and ac3 when I had Fios in Maryland. You can find them on eBay or I still have one if you are interested in trying it. I've no. Had good success with the gaming adapters myself.

I use the Apple Airport express as a wireless bridge for my Apex controller.

Radion can't be controlled wirelessly, yet. Still needs to be connected to a computer

Edited by brad908

Thanks for all the great responses. I loved WAMAS when I was a member five years ago because there were so many brilliant people in the club, and I see that has not changed :)

I am going to check into the Best Buy ethernet through your power outlets thing since I don't have an Apple.

Djplus1 - thanks for the link to the cheap router - but wouldn't I still have to connect that router to an internet cable somewhere? We have FiOS WiFi all set up and running, no problem (because they did it, not us). Or do you mean I can hook the Apex up to that router and then communicate with it from my home computer? I guess that would mean I could not access it over a web page though, right?

Thanks for all the great responses. I loved WAMAS when I was a member five years ago because there were so many brilliant people in the club, and I see that has not changed :)

I am going to check into the Best Buy ethernet through your power outlets thing since I don't have an Apple.

Djplus1 - thanks for the link to the cheap router - but wouldn't I still have to connect that router to an internet cable somewhere? We have FiOS WiFi all set up and running, no problem (because they did it, not us). Or do you mean I can hook the Apex up to that router and then communicate with it from my home computer? I guess that would mean I could not access it over a web page though, right?

I set up those routers as wireless bridges I just connect the cheap router to the Apex, so no I do not have a wire between them. You will still need to set up your Apex gear hooked directly to your Fios router at first as you cannot set up wirelessly initially. Once you have done that, set up your "bridge router" to the Fios router wirelessly and plug the Apex in and you're good to go.

I set up those routers as wireless bridges I just connect the cheap router to the Apex, so no I do not have a wire between them. You will still need to set up your Apex gear hooked directly to your Fios router at first as you cannot set up wirelessly initially. Once you have done that, set up your "bridge router" to the Fios router wirelessly and plug the Apex in and you're good to go.

Ohhhh, ok. I think I need diagrams, but I think I get what you're saying now :blink:

Ohhhh, ok. I think I need diagrams, but I think I get what you're saying now :blink:

Step 1. Buy that router and Apex. Step 2. Hook up router to Fios router with wire. Set new router as Wireless Bridge, or whatever the other option is. It will now accept the signal that is put out by Fios router and work as your hub. Step 3. Hook up Apex to Fios router with wire. Go through set up, update firmware. My advice, set up aquarium settings now, if you know what plugs will go where and test to make sure settings are good. Step 4. Hook newrouter up next to tank. Wire the new router and Apex together. If all worked properly, you should be able to control Apex through your home network wirelessly. You will need to set up internet separately and sorry I am of little help there, but customer service at Apex is pretty spot on and will guide you through and even set it all up if you need help by remoting in to your computer.