Does Size Matter?

tainan

I had a Clarkii that spawned by her self. I felt a little guilty that "her clock was ticking", so I added a tiny Clarkii. It bonded with a small Oscellaris in the same tnak and they were sharing a RBTA that had a run-in with a power head.

Today the large Clarkii successfully woed the tiny one to her RBTA's (she has three) and they are now furiously cleaning the rock where the large Clarkii had previously laid the eggs.

My question is, how large does the male have to be to fertilize the eggs, should there be any? He really is tiny, about one and one-half inches. I would think he is still a juvenile but does the size matter? Can he be a functional male?

The journey begins. From Wilkerson's "Clownfishes" starting around page 132:

"Triggers with their (clownfishes) social environment determine hormonal mix and thus gender, of which three options are available: adolescent, male and female. Lacking specific sensory stimuli to mature sexually, adolescent clownfishes remain small and reasonably submissive. Like Peter Pan, they will never grow up - at least not until their reproductive services are needed.

"If its social surrounding lacks a male, the sensory nerves of an adolescent clownfish stimulate ... hormones that cause the fish to grow, become more aggressive, and develop into a functioning male. Once a clownfish becomes a male, it cannot return to being adolescent again.

"Further, if a clownfish's social surrounding lacks a female, then the hormonal balance ... causes the male fish to grow more and become more aggressive, and he soon develops ovaries and becomes a functioning female. Once a clownfish becomes a female, she is permanently female and can never again be a functioning male."

IMO, size does not matter! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (ok guys/gals, keep it clean!).

I have a pair (percula). The male is very small when I got them. The guy that sold them to me specifically told me they are not a pair and was not sure if he a percula too. they settling in the anemones instantly upon released into my tank. At first, the female was chasing the male away. Well, about 3 weeks later, she laid eggs and a week later a bunch of babies (all got eaten of course). Since then, they spawned 4 times.

I guessed he might be ready too. People called this a hobby for a reason! Interest to hear what happen. Keep us posted!

Yep. The have a little silvery tip to them.

So, the little rascal did it! should have babies 7-10 days. About day 7-8, once you see silvery heads, they should be ready within 1-2 days. Check them out at night 2-3 hours after light out. Pretty cool to watch!

I tried rearing the fry several times without success. Must have rotifers.

Which means they either hatched last night or someone came by and ate them...

More likely they hatched and all the itty bitt babies got eaten....check your filter socks...

Don't think they hatched in one day. Only other fish in there is another small percula clown who NEVER goes close to the egg rock. The little guy may have eaten them. He seemed to be 'attending' them very vigorously.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Cow. She just laid eggs again. The last batch was 12 days ago. The little guy is swimming over them like he is doing his thing, but I can't tell if he is releasing anything.